Sign in to follow this  
jeromephone

advanage of motion detection on camera vs dvr/nvr

Is there any advantage of activating motion detection on the camera vs the recording device. I have always used the recording device but more and more cameras analog and IP have that option in the camera software.

The biggest advantage I'm aware of is much, much lower overhead required on the computer. I can run 12-13 IP cameras on some of my systems and only use 5-7% of my CPU on a Pentium D processor! I hear of other people having issues with 6-7 cameras and an i7 at times.

I have a similar question about "best practice" or what others are doing.

I am personally running BlueIris and getting a few Dahua 2MP IP dome cams installed + a few other IP cameras. I currently need to monitor motion on my Dahua cameras.

If you are running 12-13 cameras with Motion Detection on the Camera itself do you no longer run an NVR/DVR like BlueIris? Do you typically have the camera upload video to an FTP server, or just store on the local storage of the camera? Would the NVR only server as a method to central all the video feeds for better viewing?

I totally get that doing the motion detection via the PC would eat more CPU, but trying to get a bigger picture of how to better organize / filter the resulting captures for review. I just always assumed that you would do the motion detection on the server side, but now I'm not so sure.

The NVR still does all the recording and storage for me, the cameras see motion and send the trigger and once the NVR sees that it starts recording on that stream.

I use Exacq in my case, but there are a lot of available options for the software side.

Also as a note, Dahua cameras do not have motion detection on the camera so you have no option there besides server side motion with those currently.