jumpjack

How to sniff and grab the videostram of activex-based DVR?

Stream coming from my DVR can only be viewed using Internet Explorer as it requires an ActiveX.

I'd like to see the stream using Firefox or even a cellphone, so I need to "hack" it a bit.

Some reverse engineering reveals that the stream should be RTP on port 54000, but I did several test with Firefox, Realplayer and VLC, but I can't see the stream.

Please note that I currently don't know if I have to specify any file name after urk xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:54000 to access the stream, so any suggestion also about this topic would be appreciated.

The DVR is a china clone named DVR8204 in the shop where I bought it, but "TW2700 DVR" by examining its HTML code.

Strange thing is that by looking at the .js file inside the DVR I figured out that rtp ports for 4 video channels should be 64000, 64004, 64008 and 64012, but actually a port sniffer reveals that stream is coming out from port 54000 after the DVR receives "something" from ActiveX on port 6610.

I know the guy who developed the IP Camera app on Android does it some how. You could take his app and decompile it to get some ideas possibly.

if you find out post it please. I have one of those dvr's and really would like to be able to get to the stream.

i'm actually not even using that dvr anymore just for this reason.

Try to hack into the file system somehow. Perhaps telnet or ftp (or even serial connection via rs232 or jtag pins on circuit board) might work. When you are familiar with the structure, that might give you clues on how to access. I have a similar problem with an ip cam that only supports activex. I guess there is no easy way unless there is some kind of hidden cgi-bin directory for these functions. Other option is to wtite client code of your own

Lesson learned at least for me: stay away of activex/ie only stuff. If manufacturer mentions only access via IE, there might not be any alternatives to that. God i hate activex!