T-boner

Experts, please help out with an IP setup.

What are this cameras going to cover? Are they inside with no motion or outside covering parking lots and other areas?

Outside with some motion. I expect some quick action at least every 5 mins.

Still need some help guys. I think i will go for 2 of those TCM-1111 cameras. B&H photo seems to be a reliable site so i will get it from them. I still need help with a decent priced NVR (or should i just get a cheap $350 laptop with a 500GB hard drive and run ACTi's software on it?).

If your cameras are outside you can expect motion events for at least 75% of the day and if its windy rainy or snowy it will be 100%

Make sure you are not violating your ISP's terms of service.

Good luck

I am looking at the TPE-S44 POE switch. I noticed that there are 8 ports in the back to connect the Ethernet cable. Assuming i use 3 of them for POE to cameras, exactly which one of the remaining 5 will i use to connect from the switch to the router? There does not seem to be any of them labelled differently. Also, should i be looking at Cat 5, 5e or 6 for the camera runs?

Cat5e is fine for cameras to switch.

Switch to NVR usually Cat6 is advisable especially if you have many cameras with a high data transfer rate.

should i be looking at Cat 5, 5e or 6 for the camera runs?

I am looking at the TPE-S44 POE switch. I noticed that there are 8 ports in the back to connect the Ethernet cable. Assuming i use 3 of them for POE to cameras, exactly which one of the remaining 5 will i use to connect from the switch to the router? There does not seem to be any of them labelled differently. Also, should i be looking at Cat 5, 5e or 6 for the camera runs?
I have the same switch. I'm pretty sure it just doesn't matter at all. That said, I'm using its port 1, I think (I recall POE is 5-8) to the router.

Remember with this switch that although there are 4 POE ports, if you're going to drain at the full 15 W you can only run two like that, or you could do 3 ports at 10 W or 4 at 7.5 as long as total W atts are no more than 30.

Cat5e is fine for cameras to switch.

Switch to NVR usually Cat6 is advisable especially if you have many cameras with a high data transfer rate.

should i be looking at Cat 5, 5e or 6 for the camera runs?

cat5e handles gigabit just fine. unless you have a 10gbe switch and nvr with 10gbe nic, there's no need for cat6.

Guys, my router and POE switch need to be outside. Of course i will have them in some kind of weatherproof box but now i am concerned about the extreme heat and cold. How do you guys handle this?

Use Hardend Routers/Switches but they are 5 times the price of cheap Linksys gear.

I have never heard of a "hardened" router. Is it just built like a tank or does it have things like a built in fan?

They are designed to operate in extreme temperatures -40 to 75C. No they don't use fans because they are moving parts and the will fail at some point and then your unit will fail. You will spend about $1500 to $2000 for a hardened switch, router and power supply.

Wow. Those enclosures are no joke. Just what i need but i am even scared to find out how much they are. This will definitely be more than my budget.

Wow. Those enclosures are no joke. Just what i need but i am even scared to find out how much they are. This will definitely be more than my budget.

The Mier BW-136ACHT is about 2400.00 wholesale. We have put plenty of them in gated communities and they work well.

I have seen competitors be as high as 8k.

Can the router be left in a water proof box with some holes for ventilation? In a climate of 90 degree summers and 45 degree winters, am i looking at premature failure of equipment?

We've run a router in So Cal with the temps you describe along with HID Global control panels for access control in a plain NEMA enclosure mounted on the side of a wall with a vent fan and all is well after two years. What did happen is we put an NVR in there against my better judgement and that was fried when temps hit 97F one day, lasted a few months. What we do to really push our luck is we have it surrounded by rose bushes and daily regiment of sprinklers making sure we have plenty of moisture. The best was when one installer put a access control board in a NEMA enclosure high up on a pole. Don't think he tightened everything up that well because when it stopped working, we sent a guy to check it out. He opened the enclosure and got drenched with water.