IseeYou

Homebrew DDNS

Hello,

I am of the type that I try to find free instead of pay services. One item that I am looking into is DDNS. From what I read on this forum, http://dyn.com/dns/ used to free but is now a pay service.

I use Dropbox on all the PCs that I use and was wondering if anyone can see an issue with using the external IP of where the DVR is opposed to using a ddns? I would run a script on the DVR network that queries what the external IP address is. Then save the IP as a file in Dropbox which would update me as to the external IP of my home network (I also have Dropbox on my mobile so no issues there either).

Sounds to me like this is a simple, homebrew DDNS.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

I See You

DDNS is only required if you have a dynamic public IP address. If you are 100% positive that your IP address is static, DDNS is really not required at all. As with all things like this, please make sure you take all appropriate security precautions to limit your internal network's exposure to the rest of the world.

At home I have a dynamic ip from my ISP. My firewall is set correctly to ensure baddies stay out! I was just thinking about ways to do the ddns on my own, without the need of a client installed on a PC.

Hello,

I am of the type that I try to find free instead of pay services. One item that I am looking into is DDNS. From what I read on this forum, http://dyn.com/dns/ used to free but is now a pay service.

I use Dropbox on all the PCs that I use and was wondering if anyone can see an issue with using the external IP of where the DVR is opposed to using a ddns? I would run a script on the DVR network that queries what the external IP address is. Then save the IP as a file in Dropbox which would update me as to the external IP of my home network (I also have Dropbox on my mobile so no issues there either).

Sounds to me like this is a simple, homebrew DDNS.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

I See You

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question? If dropbox can send you your updated IP, than why

not stick with that? On another note, there are free ddns services out there so if it's cost your concerned about, why go through the trouble of writing a script and than having drop box notify you of your new IP and than

adjust the settings upon notification?

At home I have a dynamic ip from my ISP. My firewall is set correctly to ensure baddies stay out! I was just thinking about ways to do the ddns on my own, without the need of a client installed on a PC.

You can run Teamviewer as service and then easily find your IP

I personally use NO-IP

I think I paid $75 bux for two or three years of the "super awesome" level at Dyn.com. There are a lot of options available to you for your money. You also have an expectation of uptime when you pay for it so I am fine with that tiny sum of money to make sure I have service when I want it.

Free is dang sure not always better!

I personally use NO-IP

Thank you for this. It really helps to know what others are using.

I think I paid $75 bux for two or three years of the "super awesome" level at Dyn.com. There are a lot of options available to you for your money. You also have an expectation of uptime when you pay for it so I am fine with that tiny sum of money to make sure I have service when I want it.

Free isn't always better, but I am a programmer and the 6 lines it took to write the script was far simpler than any form to fill out to get free (or paid) service.

Thank you all so much!

I personally use NO-IP

Thank you for this. It really helps to know what others are using.

Free isn't always better, but I am a programmer and the 6 lines it took to write the script was far simpler than any form to fill out to get free (or paid) service.

Thank you all so much!

Care to share these 6 lines of code with us?