Sign in to follow this  
ikegram

Newbie IP Camera Temperature Concern Question

I plan to install my own IP security cameras around my home for the first time. One of them will on the back of my home to monitor my back yard. My question has to do with my research and some threads that refer to some cameras that have heaters and fans. I live in the Southeast and my backyard is in the sun most of the day. Temperatures during the summer get well above 100 degrees F on a regular basis. While I could install a dome like camera under one of my eves, this position would be too low to cover my entire yard. Installing a bullet like camera higher up would give me the coverage I would need but would expose the camera to sun. Do I need to purchase an 'industrial strength" camera with a fan or would a 'well made' IP camera suffice for this type of environment. Thanks for any assistance offered.

I'm sure temps in the southweast don't even come close to temps in the southwest and I've never heard of any issues with heat damaging cameras. It's best to get a camera with auto-iris to protect the sensor from sun damage.

I agree... I have some Axis 211s that have been in direct sunlight (in a housing) without a fan for 5 years and have not had a problem. I'm in SW Florida.

cameras with heaters also have thermostats so the heaters only come on below a certain temp.

a fan inside a sealed enclosure won't cool the camera at all; all it does is circulate hot air around.

neither of these are designed to keep the camera warm OR cool - they're there specifically to keep the glass clear of condensation.

My Mobotix says it's internal temperature has reached 126 F+, and it is doing fine (I'm from Arizona). My two old foscam bullet cameras need a power cycle when it heats up, but a sony and an axis dome I have both work 100% 24/7.

Now your talking, I love Phoenix in August, toasty warm, monsoon rains and cars parked outdoors get so hot you can burn your hands trying to get in.