passedoutwookie

Designing a 4 camera system

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a 4 camera system for my family farm and I was hoping that I might get some advice from people in the know here. Here are some of the features I'd like and some of the factors that need to be considered.

Night video

Wireless cameras

outdoor capable

Good range (both of the video and the wireless capability)

Of course, I would like to spend a reasonable amount of money, but I am willing to pay for quality in order to get a system that does what it should. If it is cheaper, I have a computer with a tb hd and monitor that could function as the base for the cameras. The computer is older so it may need a wireless card update.

Thanks for anyone's input. I am a noob when it comes to security cameras so I really appreciate any help that you can throw me!

Define reasonable amount of money. I'm sure you'll hear from a lot of pros, that there are no consumer level wireless cameras that are worth a hoot. The general advice is wired unless it is impossible to run a wire to that location.

Under $700 for everything would be nice. Wiring the cameras would be impossible for the most part. I need to put them on a couple different buildings so wiring them would require a lot of trenching.

I think $700 is cutting it a little too close. There are consumer grade wireless cameras but they will not produce a reliable image, especially when recorded, and that is not something you want to mess with in case you need to reproduce video.

I use CNB VBM 24 VFs and find them to be very good in low light. They do need some light though, so you may want to consider that near the camera locations. Nothing crazy just some low wattage floods or motion detection fixtures will do the trick. If lights are not an option you may want to check out "Bullet" cameras with IR illumination. Unlike dome cameras Bullets, by design, minimize IR reflection back into the lens.

Is there power in each building where you want the cameras? If so you can power the cams locally.

All this does not mean diddly if you can't get a signal between the buildings. Users on this form have discussed Ubiquiti wireless options, like their NanoStation M because they don't break the bank.

How large an area are we talking? Any chance you can mount 4 box style cameras with good zoom lens at a central location (close to the DVR)?

What about a DVR? Have you looked at options?

Thanks for your input Jason.

I do have power at each of the buildings so powering the cameras locally will be an option. There is some light near where I would like to put the cameras (streetlights so they are always on) so lighting shouldn't be an issue. As far as total area, we are talking about a pretty big chunk of property. The furthest distance from the house where I would like to keep the DVR is about 100 yds +/-.

DVR-wise, I was wondering if I could use a desktop computer instead of buying a DVR. I have a PC with a 1 tb hard drive that could be used solely for this purpose. Is that a feasible option or am I going to have to go with a DVR?

A dedicated DVR is going to be a much better and cheaper solution in the end. 100 yards doesn't sound too terrible. Personally I'd rather spend a weekend with a trenching machine than play with wireless issue for years, but its your choice.

I agree.. having a workstation server at the remote building is better for recording then send the video to the client

via wireless or a trenched wire.. Also, if you have to go wireless I would look at not using a wireless camera but instead use a wired

camera plugged into a wireless access point which then will send your streams back to the head end..

places to look for low cost wireless solution would be like Ubiquiti's bullet m series or maybe d-link's dap-3520..

You could put access points at remote buildings wired into a switch which the cameras would be plugged into, then with directional

antennas on those point to the headend building that has an access point with an omnidirectional antenna to receive the signals from

the remote buildings. You also need to make sure you have line of sight with wireless.. no huge trees, hills or structures in the way of the

wireless signal.