jisaac

Automatic email alert

Does anyone know of some kind of stand alone unit that I can add on to a embedded system that will automatically send an email upon an event? alarm? I have a system at a customer business. And after we get everything installed he wants something to email him if someone comes in after hours. So that in the morning when he gets in he will have an email from the system saying someone was there. Anyone know of such a product sold by itself as something I can add on?

Does his embedded unit not offer that function already to send email alerts? If not, it may be more cost effective to just replace the unit with one that does.

Scottj

no it does not. this install has been a pain straight up my backside since we said go. I am really just wanting to get this thing over with and be done with it. But this guy is one of those thinks he knows everything about the industry because he saw a special on tv or something of that nature.

Know of a inexspensive dvr I can replace this one with if there is no other add on option?

I would try an SMS alert device (in this country there are plenty to choose from so you should have them in the US too). This usually has several contact inputs and will send an SMS to a mobile phone on contact closure with a custom message. Hook this up to the DVR alarm contact out and it will send the SMS/s. Depending on the mobile Service Provider connected to, they may have an SMS to e-mail facility (once again, they exist over here so ... ). Perhaps your customer will be happy with just an SMS to his mobile. He will have to pay for the running costs of this though. Depending on how the "event/alarm" is generated (VMD etc) he may have a load of SMSes/e-mails that could cost a whack and be annoying.

Which unit are you using? Let's see your specifications (FPS, etc) that you need, maybe I can make a recommendation for a low cost unit to get this guy off your back. Customers like that are just easier to suck up the cost and be done with them..I know that feeling.

Scottj

its a mace 4 channel dvr

MPEG-4

120 FRAMES PER SECOND

4 CHANNELS OF AUDIO

ALARM INPUT OUTPUT (OBVIOUSLY)

CD BURNER

TRIPLEX OPERATION ( RECORD, TRANSMIT, AND PLAYBACK AT SAME TIME)

you sure it doesnt send email on motion or alarm?

even the cheapest DVR from AvTech does that, but you have to turn it on through the network software.

Not a switch for what you have there though, as no CDR etc, the Storesafe 4 channel DVR though has email alerts. See if you can get a deal on one here, or maybe even, yes, i'll say it, wait a sec, ..... e b a y ....

Im getting 2 months with a 40GB HDD and the DVR set to smart motion or 8pps each, means when only 1 camera picking up motion its 30fps, and all in 720x480 each channel.

Rory

Just for those interested in sending dry contact messages via SMS or Email these links provide some products that do the job. Prices I'm not sure about.

http://www.commtechwireless.com/pages/products/alarm.php?=&logout=1

http://www.simplecomtools.com/serialswitchsmtp.html

If you can get a good deal from the guys above it's probably the cleanest solution for a tricky customer. I'm sure we've all had our share of these. Let me guess ... he hasn't paid in full until the "feature" is there ?!? ... and you need the money for the next job !!

The GE Storesafe has a fantastic E-mail/Alarm feature. The WaveReader software also has a great Alarm Monitoring feature whereby the DVR uploads chosen pps/cam to the PC running the software on every alarm. A lot of the DVR's now have similar features.

YES that is the unit. and rory unless they have been hiding it somewhere in a feature hidden far far far far far far far far far away then i dont think they do.

My suggestion is to explain to the customer that motion detection through software is not accurate, simply put fear into him by saying it may email when a shadow occurs or car headlights or electrical interference.

It is strange to find a DVR that does not have this feature, but I certainly would not use this feature anyhow unless you use the I/O type of device with the machine and a true PIR detector.

There really is no point looking for an add on product when most alarm panels will do this and they are very very cheap and quite obviously more accurate in doing it.