Sign in to follow this  
Biggen

Installing camera outside of building on pole?

In the process of purchasing and installing myself some IP cameras for my business. I have a tall 40 light pole on my property next to my parking light that I'd like to install one outdoor IP camera so that I can monitor vehicles entering/exiting my lot. Thinking about mounting the camera halfway or slightly less than halfway up the pole (i.e. 15~ feet)

I was looking to install an Axis P5512-E PTZ or a P5511-E PTZ. The P5512-E PTZ is PoE while the P5522-E is PoE+ and requires the included midspan.

First off, how close does the midspan need to be to the P5522-E? There isn't a distance requirement in the manual so I assume as long as it isn't beyond 100 meters it is fine?

Secondly, how do you ground these cameras? I would think a large metal arm sticking up and out of a 40' wooden light pole during a thunderstorm would attract lightning. I know there isn't a lot one can do to protect against direct strikes but shouldn't I do "something" to protect the rest of my LAN that will be connected to the same switch my outdoor camera will be?

Third, how are you guys running Cat5e/6 to these cameras when they are outside on poles or other exposed locations where you can't put the cable inside of a wall? PVC conduit?

And, lastly, why don't these cameras have SFP (fiber) connectors on them? Not only would that preclude problems with lightning but you also wouldn't be limited to the 100m ethernet length standard. I realize that PoE wouldn't be possible but honestly there are situations where installing power and using fiber would be easier than dealing with 100m hardcap of ethernet and PoE.

Just thinking out loud a bit as I want to make sure I have everything perfect before I attempt any installs.

First off, how close does the midspan need to be to the P5522-E? There isn't a distance requirement in the manual so I assume as long as it isn't beyond 100 meters it is fine?

the total distance needs to be less than 100m

Secondly, how do you ground these cameras? I would think a large metal arm sticking up and out of a 40' wooden light pole during a thunderstorm would attract lightning. I know there isn't a lot one can do to protect against direct strikes but shouldn't I do "something" to protect the rest of my LAN that will be connected to the same switch my outdoor camera will be?

you could use something like this

http://www.eql.com.au/ela100.htm

Third, how are you guys running Cat5e/6 to these cameras when they are outside on poles or other exposed locations where you can't put the cable inside of a wall? PVC conduit?

Always in conduit for outside work. never leave a cable exposed unless it is specified as outdoor cables, even then i would still conduit it.

And, lastly, why don't these cameras have SFP (fiber) connectors on them? Not only would that preclude problems with lightning but you also wouldn't be limited to the 100m ethernet length standard. I realize that PoE wouldn't be possible but honestly there are situations where installing power and using fiber would be easier than dealing with 100m hardcap of ethernet and PoE.

to keep costs down maybe, also have you seen how a fibre cable is terminated ? im sure a fibre tech wouldnt like to take his splice machine up a ladder...

normally you would install a fobot at the bottom of the pole, have a media converter, injector, etc, and run cat5 up to the camera.

hope that helps

My company did an install of this nature for a power gen company ...they had no budget to run a pipe under ground to a guard shack in the front ...so we suggested a wireless ethernet bridge by cisco...we put a stainless steel box outside the booth installed a POE switch and installed the antennas on the booth roof and the main Building.. and installed 5 HD IP cameras on the booth...you could probably do the same if the pole has power and you can find a cheaper bridge....cisco would run you and arm and a leg..