Sign in to follow this  
tangocharlie

ANPR \ LPR

Further to a previous post, about a remote traffic monitoring site, the client has now asked me to investigate ANPR \ LPR.

Does anyone have any realworld experience with ANPR - especially using IP cameras?

I understand license plate cameras, but never had any exposure to the ANPR side of things.

What package has anyone used?

Advantages \ disadvantages of one over another?

Appreciate your input guys.

Regards

Tango

I want to know too as it would be cool to have gate in a community automatically open after a scan and match of a resident's license plate. No need to spend money on transponders and long distance readers when just the reader alone cost as much as a good ALPR camera not to mention the $20-30/transponder.

I saw them at ISC West about 6 months ago but lost the guys contact info for one that looked really cool. It took a picture of the car with a VGA camera and captured the plate using an LPR camera and processed that into text for use with an access control system.It worked very fast, up to 100mph and did a cool demo by spinning a drum with about 8 license plate that he spun and it capture every single one even though it was a total blur watching it spin.

I bet at the ASIS show in Philly next week there will be ALPR exhibits. If anyone is going, please get some info for us.

Thanks, not the one I remember but I emailed IPConfigure with questions. It's cool that their LPR software works inside of an existing Axis camera.

Ive installed a couple of Avigilon LPR systems.

Its so easy to use and the searching is lightning quick.

The system works great, the only drawback i have is that in the state I'm in (Queensland, Australia), we have a lot of customised license plates and some of them are non reflective so they may not get picked up.

With all ALPR systems though, you need to be aware that some plates just wont get read. IE, dirty plates, obstructed plates (bike racks or tow bars), if you are reading from the front of the car then missing plates, (especially motor bikes)

Just make sure you have the overview to be able to physically read a plate if the ALPR camera misses it.

I was planning on having a handi wipe dispenser nearby so they can clean their plates and drive through again.

This is just an alternate method of going in. If they don't have plates (new cars in California don't get plates for about 6-8 weeks), if there plates are dirty, then they have to use our current access control system or come in as a guest and use the entry dialer. If we get 90% read accuracy, that would be ideal. And I agree, vanity plates with hearts or hand prints on them have to read by the reader by passing only readable numbers.

At the moment I have a trail version of Milestone running with a LPR trail version running.

So far it's working pretty good. I did see some inconsistancies, but that's mainly due to numberplates which are dirty or bend.

I just need to find out how I can get the number plate information of it. We want to use it in our weighbridges so that once a truck runs up the bridge, his plate get's send to the weigh program.