easytim

What is the best way to distribute the CCTV signal?

I am building a new home, I will have 4 PELCO III Dome cameras and 2 Panasonic, All cameras will have web access. All cameras wiring goes to a central location in the garage where everything else goes., I call it the wiring station for structured wiring.

What I want to do is view any of the cameras on any TV in any room. Each room will have 2 RG6 cables and 3 CAT5e cables on a wall plate.

What is the best way to distribute the CCTV signal through out the house and be able to view it on any TV?

How can I turn it to a channel on my TV to see this video?

I'm not clear if those are IP cameras or analogoe througha dedicated DVR server If the latter no problem you can get several pairs of rj45 to VGA converters then buy a VGS distribution matrix, (You can daisey-chain a couple too) then conect them all over the CAT5 cables to wall boxes at each TV and a patch lead with a VGA convertor into the back of the TV ad to view merely go to the AV menu and select PC or VGA (on some TVs)

201382_1.jpg201382_2.jpg201382_3.jpg201382_4.jpg

If its from a IP camera setup you could use the same idea but you have to figure where the VGA signal will output from, I have never had to do that yet.

I have set it up so I can watch cameras with a monitor. My question is with RG6 cables from each camera how can I view it on my big screen plasma and other LCD Tv screens throughout the house , I have 4 cameras that are hooked up to an Axis 241Q server

I want to be able to go to any TV and see cameras. I don't know the best way to do this, how are they hooked up?

Normally the four cameras will be wired to a DVR or NVR which will multiplex the four cameras into one composite picture for viewing on screen. This can then be plugged into an A/V input on your TV or modulated to "appear" as a TV station signal in its own frequency slot. This second method has become difficult with the advent of digital TV.

BTW RG6 is not the best cable to be using for CCTV

I thought RG6 was good stuff, what is the best?

I didn't say it wasn't good stuff , I just said it wasn't the best for CCTV. RG6 has transmission characteristics designed for RF of approx 500 - 800 Mhz where as CCTV sub carrier is 5.5 Mhz. RG59u is designed for those lower frequencies

I thought RG6 was good stuff, what is the best?

I didn't say it wasn't good stuff , I just said it wasn't the best for CCTV. RG6 has transmission characteristics designed for RF of approx 500 - 800 Mhz where as CCTV sub carrier is 5.5 Mhz. RG59u is designed for those lower frequencies

I would not call sub carrier

video bandwith is from 0 to about 4.2 for NTSC

I suppose you could get a modulator and insert the signal into your TV distribution system?

This I think would be the best way to do this, I don't know much about modulators, I have heard of it, I never have checked into it.

How about this modulator? http://stuff.led-guy.com/Mod.pdf

My 4 cameras should go to a video sequencer first, then from there to the video modulator

Video Modulators

Modulators are used to “modulate” an audio/video signal into a RF signal that can be fed into the house video distribution system. Modulation is primarily used for video cameras, but can also be used to distribute signals from a VCR or DVD player.

However, the future of modulators is very blurry (no pun intended). In the past, there was plenty of spare room on cable systems, so it was easy to modulate signals into blank channels. Now though, most cable systems do not have unused channels so there is little space to put a modulated channel. There are special “notch” filters that block a set of incoming channels, allowing modulated signals to be inserted instead. This works well, if the user can find a block of channels that are not wanted. Also, modulators do NOT co-exist well with digital cable signals. If you have digital cable, forget about using a modulator.

Finally, there is the upcoming switch from analog broadcast channels to digital. As TV manufacturers stop making sets with analog tuners, where will modulators fit in? Stay tuned.

For any place where you might want a modulator, make sure to run Coax back to the wiring closet. Very few people have complained about running too much Coax, but MANY people have complained about not running enough.

If you run a wire for a modulator, consider running a Cat-5E also. There are adaptors for running composite video signals over Cat-5E. The Cat-5E will also work if you use an IP camera.

Consider using IP cameras. They don’t fit well into the current analog RF world, but are much more likely to interface in the coming digital world.

Consider having 2 (or more) Coax feeds to each location. Many TVs now have multiple inputs, allowing you to use one input for cable, and the other for your own private network of modulators

If you have digital cable, forget about using a modulator.

Finally, there is the upcoming switch from analog broadcast channels to digital. As TV manufacturers stop making sets with analog tuners, where will modulators fit in? Stay tuned.

Told you so

last time I looked digital modulators cost a motza

Is it pesach already ? My how time flies when yer having fun!

??????

Haven't you any jewish friends,? Ask them about it.

last time I looked digital modulators cost a motza

Is it pesach already ? My how time flies when yer having fun!

??????

Oy vey!

I too am building a new home. Whether right or wrong I can tell you how I solved the challenge of wanting the identical function.

I like you brought each camera back to my local rack server I built for the home. Nothing fancy just runs iTunes, some home automation stuff, file server and most importantly my favorite security camera software. I put a second video card in the server and put the camera display grid on the second desktop. I then took the digital output of that second card into a HDMI 6x distribution splitter. Then from the splitter Cat6 to each TV with depending on the TV a baulin/receiver back into each TV's AUX HDMI IN. Viola! From any TV, just press "Camera" on TV remote and of course the TV switches over to the Camera HDMI IN. A lot of peace of mind for me with the wife and daughter able to operate without any tech knowledge from anywhere they are in the houses. Further I used FOSCAMS free IPhone/IPad App on all phones and pads around the house. This allows anyone to pick up a device and see cameras. Finally let me add we have more than one home and this solution allows all homes to be seen from one screen on any device or TV from any home AND anywhere in the world....whew....

Hope this helps.

Ross