voip-ninja

New Axis P33s with integrated IR will be out next month

Just a note for anyone that has been interested in the P33 series Axis 1.3MP cameras with integrated IR that were revealed several months ago.

I just got off the phone with a contact at Axis who told me that the cameras will be shipping in October to distributors.

He said that as mentioned in original information, Axis is approaching the integrated IR differently than other vendors, the camera will adjust the IR between a "spot" beam when the lens is at telephoto lengths to a "wide cone" type of beam pattern when the camera lens is set to wider angle. He was not sure if the camera would have a feature to adjust the beam intensity via proximity sensor or detected over-exposure of a subject.

He also said that the IR is supposed to be very efficient and will not require more PoE power than the non IR integrated models, at least that he was aware of.

Unfortunately the prices on these cameras will be quite high, but for someone (like me) who might be forced to go the external IR route, it might actually not be cost prohibited if the new IR performs well.

Okay, it's "next month" so where are they?

I kid, of course, but I really would like to see how well these perform. If they can get a decent dome without IR bleed, variable powered LEDs, with Axis quality PQ, and they keep the price reasonable, I think they'll definitely appeal to more users. In time, perhaps they'll even equip their "consumer" M series with night vision capabilities. Always wondered why the ~$500 M5014 wasn't at least capable of night vision (even without built in IR lamps).

No one shows stock yet, probably shipping closer to the end of the month.

Prices are high but hopefully street prices come down later this winter.

Originally they were to be released in 2nd quarter. Then it was August, then it was September, now it's October. Given their track record I wouldn't hold your breath.

Originally they were to be released in 2nd quarter. Then it was August, then it was September, now it's October. Given their track record I wouldn't hold your breath.

I would rather see the product launch a few months late than see it launch early with tons of problems.

In my experience Axis do a pretty good job of testing this stuff out.

I'm just relaying what the rep told me, that they are shipping in October. Not that they are shipping Q3 or Q4, but October specifically is what he relayed to me.

When released, it will be in small quanitities with a backorder, do don't expect to get them the first month or two they are out.

If reviews/demos come out and the camera is best in class, I won't mind waiting a few months to get them.

I would rather see the product launch a few months late than see it launch early with tons of problems.

I'm just relaying what the rep told me, that they are shipping in October. Not that they are shipping Q3 or Q4, but October specifically is what he relayed to me.

I hope you are correct as I have been waiting for this camera to be released for some time now. In August when I asked them why their initial press release stated they would be released in 2nd quarter I was told they would be out in August. When I inquired in August they said September, now they say October. Hopefully their problems are due to manufacturing and not design.

I hope you are correct as I have been waiting for this camera to be released for some time now. In August when I asked them why their initial press release stated they would be released in 2nd quarter I was told they would be out in August. When I inquired in August they said September, now they say October. Hopefully their problems are due to manufacturing and not design.

Well, they are approaching this completely differently than all of the other manufacturers as far as dome with integrated IR are concerned.

They are putting in IR that will adjust from a spotlight to a wide-beam based on the lens focal length. I would imagine that they might be adjusting intensity as well.

I suspect that this has been harder to do perhaps than they originally thought. It could be that they could have shipped this product a few months ago but were concerned that the performance was not better enough than other IR integrated domes on the market to justify the price hike, so perhaps they have been fine tuning it.

I am very much looking forward to samples/reviews of this camera. It should be pretty good.

Whether it's $400-$500 better per unit than offers from Acti, Samsung, Vivotek and others is definitely the real question.

Maybe in a few mins someone pops in and says "what about Dahua!"

Since you brought it up, I've been seeing the new Dahua IPC-HDW2100 trickling out in China. They call it a dome but it's a domeless dome so it may not have some of the problems that plague their IR vandal domes. The price is higher than their mini bullet with the same specs. I'm trying to get one but China is closed this week. Then we can compare the new P33 with Dahua

Since you brought it up, I've been seeing the new Dahua IPC-HDW2100 trickling out in China. They call it a dome but it's a domeless dome so it may not have some of the problems that plague their IR vandal domes. The price is higher than their mini bullet with the same specs. I'm trying to get one but China is closed this week. Then we can compare the new P33 with Dahua

I'm always open to a more economical option. Synology does not support the Dahua cameras but if they are standards based I could probably get it to kinda/sorta work using Synology for the motion capture.

One of the concerns (for me) with the Dahua domes is that they don't seem to go to a very low operating temperature.

Looking at the pictures of the ipc-hdw2100 I expect it will have the same problems that most IR "domes" have... which is that the IR will be a tight beam spotlight that will be useless if you are using the camera for a wider angle, which is what I typically do.

I'm also still trying to find sample video of the Samsung vandal domes because even with a tighter beam there are two locations I have where they would work and they can be found for under $600.