Sign in to follow this  
Razer_SE

DVR + ?? for security to detect fence cutting/climbing?

OK, I need something that I'm sure exists but I've not had need of before now so I'm hoping for some pointers here.

I have perimeter fencing around a lot of locations that we're having issues with break ins in a few locations here recently. Just this week they hit a property, cut the fence on us and the property next door to get access at the back of the property. We have cameras there, but they broke the PVC conduit running up the poles to get at the cable and cut them. Hit 4 separate locations and 7 cameras on this property. It is now in metal conduit, but still, that was a first. Soon they'll be bringing ladders...

I want something to install on, along, or whatever, fencing to detect when it is cut, or climbed, or whatever. I was wondering if there is something I can use that will integrate with my Exacq DVRs in some way. It triggers, exacq registers trigger and emails out to a set of email addresses, or triggers lights or whatever. I know the Exacq side, just not what I need to get. I guess a stand alone systems is an option too. Just wondering where to start looking for something or if anyone had experience with systems like this? Old school was beams I know, but I have tons of fence line to cover at times so that is a nonstarter I'm sure.

Costs would be? Appreciate any info to get me started!

For the fenceline, something like the Southwest Microwave fence cable system would work well. I've seen it work, but I'm not sure about pricing, I think it averages a few dollars per foot of fence.

For area sensing, I've used the Protech sensors, http://www.protechusa.com/Products/PIRAMIDXL2.htm, and they work quite well.

For the input to Exacq, you'd connect the sensor output to something like the Axis P8221, that gives you 8 inputs and outputs, along with one audio in and out, that would give you your event triggering in the Exacq.

Thank you both for the reply, gives me a place to start anyway.

With my Exacq servers I have a couple alarm inputs/outputs on the server itself and then I have some on my ACTi License Plate cameras too so I have a couple of options there at least. The Axis I will keep in mind if I need more though, thanks.

I also found an electric fence option that can detect and trigger when it is cut, then there are fiber optic systems too. The fiber looks nice, but if they cut it then I'm out $1000 in cable for one stretch of fence which would suck. Dunno, looking and learning as I go I guess!

So in thinking some more and looking I have a simple solution for some properties that will work perfectly with my DVR. I can run insulated wire in the fence in a loop and run current down the wire. Thinking about a 24v power source. Hook a relay to the loop and when someone cuts the wire woven in the fence then the relay will trip; which the DVR will see and do my emailing out and whatever else we need.

I just need to find a suitable relay and I think this will work. Trick will be weaving in and out of the fence so they have to cut it to get in. This should work in any chain link fence and be quite inexpensive.

I also found a system that will work for sure using an electric fence, but that will not work in all situations. I think I can use it in a few places though.

I have a couple of quotes coming in from the real places using higher end equipment and will see how high or low the prices are. Found some at over $90 per foot. That is pretty high, way out of my range lol. Probably out of most peoples price ranges!

Yeah, but in 95% of our break ins they are cutting the fence as they need to to carry items out that they are stealing. Our fences are 10' and topped with barbed wire so they are usually not climbed. The trick would be to weave it in and out of the fence requiring them to cut the wire to get in. Say 10' apart and ran through the fence back and forth every couple of feet should do the trick I think.

I hope they see it and just don't try, I'm fine with that too. For no more than it will cost its worth a try I guess if I can get it all figured out.

I hope they see it and just don't try, I'm fine with that too. For no more than it will cost its worth a try I guess if I can get it all figured out.

hi. it also depends on the value of stock getting stolen. in cost alone running cable 10inch apart for the full lenth of fence is going to take some work.

if your budget allows look at something like this. http://www.detection-technologies.com/

with extra bonus of being able to protect walls ...... no power needed.

zDUQ4eBlsBs