jisaac

Upload blues

How many of you have the same probably as I do. I cant get any ISP to provide any upload speed higher than 600. 64 cameras pushing through 600kbps tends to push it abit.

I think many people have the same problem. I have Comcast and they have 4mbps download, but only 384K uploads. Of course this is a consumer account, which also costs less.

If you want more speed on the upload your going to have to pay for it, unless you have more ISP options and somebody else offers a better upload speed There is no ISP that can offer you a higher upload speed at any cost

This should be changing in the near future as Broadband ISP's provide more bandwidth for uploads, but it all depends when they make the change in your area

VST_MAN, have you done that? What ISP lets you do that? And isn't that a little cost prohibitive? How does that work?

ya over here comcast business account is $95 a month. their upload speed is 650 average over here. They have a better upload speed than dsl pro but still not what i would like it to be.

Vst thats not a bad idea. Never thought about that. I dont know why thats a pretty simple idea. I am an idiot sometimes.

No, I have not tried it but it is do-able. The client pays the fee anyway so if they want to soar they can write the check. Its just another account added and the only show stopper is the availibility of spare pairs.

Also, if download isn't important you can sometimes get the download/upload speed swapped. There isn't any techincal reason that download is higher the upload, just billing.

If you don't mind paying a little extra, you may want to look into business level services. Many ISPs allocate a higher priority to business accounts than residential accounts. This applies to both DSL and cable. You will also get better support and sometimes get better features (like included static IPs), though not always.

Another thing to keep in mind is the quoted bandwidth is not typically what you will get. One ISP in my area offers DSL at typical speeds, but only guarantees about 10% of what they are offering. This is VERY common. Read your service agreement to find out.

In my experience, cable operators offer better service, particularly when using business grade services. Every single business line that I have (about 12 accounts) always EXCEEDS the bandwidth they have quoted me.

-C7

PS - If you're wondering what the actual speed you have is, you can try going to www.pcpitstop.com, and use their Internet Speed utility. It's not 100% accurate, but it can be helpful...

ya over here comcast business account is $95 a month. their upload speed is 650 average over here. They have a better upload speed than dsl pro but still not what i would like it to be.

Vst thats not a bad idea. Never thought about that. I dont know why thats a pretty simple idea. I am an idiot sometimes.

What's your install like? 2 - 32CH dvrs that you are trying to view through 1 IP? You can split the DVR's through separate connections, or leave them on the same network and get a burstable T-1 possibly. Depends on how deep your pockets are and what it's worth to you. Usually you can get a burstable T-1 at about half the cost of a traditional T-1. You could also get 2 cable modems and use a bandwidth balancing router like a Xincom 600 series... I am not sure if it will help in your situation though, but maybe, it kind of depends on how the camera system(s) handles uploads and if the problem you are having is about multiple streams to multiple sites...

The Xincom routers have load balancing for inbound and outbound traffic. There are other brands too, I believe linksys has some as well, but I have never really liked their stuff for business class applications...

http://www.xincom.com/twr602.html

-Marcus

C7, that link you posted for the Speed Test is bad, I get a 404 page not found message.

I was going to try it, but oh well. There are several sites that let you test your speed. If the site you were thinking of measures upstream that would be good.

Those are some nice looking speed tests. After using each (several times), I seem to get consistantly slower numbers with the Wugnet speed test. The SpeakEasy and PCPitstop tests are fairly consistant. The Yahoo/SBC test doesn't even run for me.

That SpeakEasy test was very accurate and I like the speedometer readout, nice touch.

Rory that Bandwidth place was showing around 50% lower than I am really running at. The other site I wasn’t patient enough to find the test.

But, Rory your still Awesome!

I'm not on anything, I don't do drugs..

No but seriously, I think your right about my test results. The other test sites had servers that were close to me.

I am on a Comcast Cable Modem Connection. I like the speedometer one, although on the upoad my needle didn't move much, but on the download I was speeding, almost got a ticket.

you dont do drugs? How do you do your installs??? Sober? Wow! Whats that like?

Just kidding

Although I saw some guys installing an alarm system one time with pupils the size of quarters! I laughed at those kids for a long time. we still joke about them.

I am on adderall. my add medicine. If not then my installs are shall we say "disorganized"

Don't get that started. Pretty soon we will have medication comparisons going on.

I wouldn’t worry about the people with the large pupils, at least there going slow, it’s the ones that have those beady pupils that can really screw stuff up.

i think the dialated pupils is the faster ones. Because these kids were going! Like speedy gonzalez! They were trying to fix something for like 3 hours with out ever looking up! And the whole time he was trying to solder these 2 wires together! idiot. I bet he goes no were in life

Your right, I got them mixed up. Shows how much I know about that stuff

I like that Arkansas accent “I bet he goes no were in lifeâ€

There is one issue to look into. Most of DVR software including client software have frame transmission limit. You must contact manufacturer to see what the limitation is. Total frame number that can be streamed is usually between 10 to 60. It depends on manufacturers.