jisaac

Vandal Proof..?.?.?. no wait Theft Proof

went out to do a site survey on an existing system. They were wanting to upgrade their system they currently have. They have 16 cameras. Well 12 cameras. 4 got stolen....twice. Its a hotel and they want a solution to these cameras being stolen. The problem is where these cameras are being stolen is on this building. Its 2 stories and the eve's are concrete and about 7 1/2 feet tall. I was thinking about putting some vandal proof domes. But I cant find a camera that I can lock into a mount. Because hell even if its vandal proof someone can take baseball bat and knock it of the mount. Anyone know of a solution?

How about drilling some nice big holes in the concrete, use anchors and bold a vandal proof dome in there. I did something similar and it seemed to work out well.

If you wanted to go nutz, you could put some sort of contact alarm that would trigger if the camera were removed. Not sure about that one though.

-C7

maybe. have a sheet metal shop build you some nice boltable sheilds for the camera housings so that they can withstand the beatings. cut the holes just right and install. it won't look great but they will not get knocked down.

Why dont you just wall mount the domes? No baseball bat i have seen can knock offa good vandal dome, once you secure it into the concrete good.. i have used a sledgehammer and malot on the WizKid domes and wont damage it at all, besides a scratch on the dome cover which I have a box of them from Extreme.

http://www.wizkidoptotech.com/products/index.cfm?img=6

wz49_med_1.jpg

http://www.extremecctv.com/products/index.cfm?img=23

EX49_web_med.jpg

Edited by Guest

Hmmm ... I guess the previous installers repeat business just came to an end !!

Is there a chance of just positioning the cams out of harms way, say, a little higher ? We have that kind of thing happen over here quite regularly. What we have done/tried is putting a grating mesh cage (largish holes)around the camera. The grating doesn't interfere with the cams day time view, but you can kinda see the grating holes in the evening. Still have great pics but it's ugly for some environments though. Being a hotel I'd think you would stick to something ike Rory suggested with the Extreme domes. Are the cams connected into a DVR that puts out a videoloss contact ? Put a piezo on the output, both in the area of the cams and at the reception. Plant some cactus under the cameras !!! Only the Jackass team will try it on then.

Would it be possible to embed a pinhole camera in the actual cement block with only the hole showing to apear that you have given up on putting a camera there at all and not bother to fix it yet and still have the security needed? It's work, and not sure the camera would take it, but you might even get the thief. Maybe place a dummy camera nearby to distract them. A dumb idea I know.

went out to do a site survey on an existing system. They were wanting to upgrade their system they currently have. They have 16 cameras. Well 12 cameras. 4 got stolen....twice. Its a hotel and they want a solution to these cameras being stolen. The problem is where these cameras are being stolen is on this building. Its 2 stories and the eve's are concrete and about 7 1/2 feet tall. I was thinking about putting some vandal proof domes. But I cant find a camera that I can lock into a mount. Because hell even if its vandal proof someone can take baseball bat and knock it of the mount. Anyone know of a solution?

The Silent Knight Gripless V28G 123 system should do the trick. It will take an impact from a bat or hammer, and its almost impossible to knock off unless you can hammer a prybar underneath it and jerk out the anchors holding it in place. We have used them on governemtn buildings and gotten good reviews.

Also the CSI-Speco-Provideo H.E.A.T. cameras may work for this application although they don't say weatherproof they have a published operating range upto 122F.

Another option is the Samsung SVD-4120A whish is tamper resistant and rated for wind and rain. It also is designed to take a serious impact. The picture it in their brochure laying on the ground with a tractor track over it.

The Provideo is the cheapest, and the Silent Knight has the most options. I personally think the Samsung looks like the most bang for your buck, but I have not used any of the the Samsungs as of yet.

My opinion and personal perspective on Extreme.

Extreme also has a decent looking tamper done,but I had a customer service issue with them that left me stuck with several hundred dollars worth of product I couldn't use. I got some defective products and Iwound up with several hundred dollars in stuff I can't use, and they refused to take back. Amazingly after I reamed them ut and fought with them for months they did acknowledge the problem.

For a tamper dome I think I would position the camera to have the wire enter directly int the back of the dome through the wall. Anchor the camera over the wire hole in the wall. That is what I have done on other installations.