aarons

Geo SDK

Hi

I am a long time reader first time poster

My current job has me involved quite heavily with Geovision Hardware and software.

Something I would lke to explore is customising GEO using the SDK available. I have never used it and don't really know what it is about.

Does it allow you to customer the GUI ? Change those awful blinking eyes for example or insert your own company logo etc.

Any information you can give would be most helpful

thanks

Hi, I havent used it but maybe someone else can tune in. I have only customised a GUI for Remote Video which is something totally different. From someone else though, i heard it doesnt really do much and doesnt get rid of the blinking eyes. The New v7.1 not yet released lets you change skins though.

Those blinking eyes really drove me crazy when I had no video source and that annoying sound kept repeating itself. Fist thing I did was disable the sound.

Hopefully version 7.1 will have the ability to have those eyes gone and perhaps some interaction with GUI customization without having to resort to programming. Like the personal logo that could easily be replaced with a graphic if the graphic for the eyes was stored in a directory and read dynamically by the program.

What kind of modifications would you want to do? just the skin or actual software modifications for different functionality? If that is even possible, I don’t know anything about what can be done yet.

Well the eyes bilking thing is the least of my concerns. That could be eliminated, but it could be more hassle than it's worth.

Have your heard anything more about when 7.1 will be released?

I would like to try that H.264 codec, although I think I have it already in the newest release of Divx 6. I just haven't had enough time to encode a movie with it yet. It should be good though.

The quality of MPEG-4 is already good, but it still takes up a lot of space compared to GEO’s proprietary codec, which isn’t too bad considering it saves a lot of space. It will be interesting to see how small the files get with the H.264 and how much quality is retained of the original image?

Well H.264 is not that great quality, nor is MPEG4 while we are on it, it is more compression is all. MJPEG and Wavelet, and JPEg2000 the new one, are much better quality, though id just use the Geo Codec for now as its MPEG4.

I heard the H.264 for the new Geo really requires a Hyperthreading CPu as it takes up higher CPU usage.

The main upgrade with the new software is the skins for the GUI, the rest is small time things.

Rory

I have to disagree with you there. Maybe MPEG-4 isn’t good for security applications, but it is fantastic for ripping 4.7GB movies from DVD to MPEG-4 files that will fit on a CD.

The quality is almost as good as the DVD. Many people can’t even tell the difference unless they know what to look for.

Yeah the Geo Codec is good.

And computer processors are getting cheaper and more powerful. The H.264 wil work out. It just still takes more space than the GEO codec.

What im saying is MPEG4 doesnt match up to the quality of the others I mentioned, it is lower quality. Great for remote video thats for sure, but Wavelet, MJpeg or Jpeg2000 is much higher quality, less compression and takes up more space though.

MPEG4-ASP is being used by ACTI for IP apps and that is not bad, but H.264 is much lower quality from the files I have seen that used it.

Tis probably the reason GE security upgraded their codec to a version of the new JPEG2000, instead of using MPEG4. Their main goal has always been high quality video which is required for CCTV, over compression.

This is a link on info for GE's WaveJet Compression:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=16383&highlight=wavejet#16383

Edited by Guest

yeahhha ha h a ..

One thing I really liked about the Iview card, I could set local recording to WaveLet, but I could connect to it in Mpeg4 for faster Remote video.

Well if I had an encoder that would encode in Wavelet I would encode some high quality DVD video in both formats and you would see that the MPEG-4 is better quality.

It just takes more processor power and more hard drive space that those other codecs.

By the way, your off topic

Ive used both formats with the Iview Card, and also with Geo, and Wavelet comes off on top big time

yep, way off topic ..