Sign in to follow this  
sethlocks

SD Card Recording

Any recommendations for a low end IP camera with SD recording. Mobotix is out of my customer's price range.

Here's the skinny:

Customer has two entrances to monitor. Up to 3 staff members will view the cameras via browser interface. I would like to offer motion based recording or snapshots for the entrances as well. Needs to be day/night or have IR.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

I forgot to mention that I would like to steer clear of Vivotek. The SD card interface is too clunky for my customer to easily use.

Some of the Dahuas support SD card recording. They've probably got the best performance for the money right now, and are challenging Vivotek for the mid-end throne. In some preliminary tests, I find my Dahua HFW2100 performs better than my Vivotek IP8332s in low light and at night, but the software is still not very mature, and software support is completely dependent on the vendor (so pick a reputable one).

For example, on my Dahua, responding to big changes in exposure settings, or switching between day and night mode, takes about 5 seconds when a light goes on or off, while on the Vivoteks it's about a second. That extra 4 seconds is a long time when something's going on that you want to see. Likewise, you can't completely turn of the IR on this cam. I'm assuming these things will be fixed as the software matures, but you never know.

The SD recording setup is one thing I hate about the Vivoteks. I have SD cards in all of them, and have never bothered to get them working. The HFW2100 doesn't have an SD card slot, I don't think, but other models do.

Ditto on ACC from Axis. I'll be doing a review on it when I get some of their cameras to test.

Dahua has PSS which is their free CMS software to view the recordings on SD card. I've played with it but it's not intuitive, at least for me.

Not a big fan of Axis Camera Companion (ACC). Definitely not commercial level - may be okay for small installations with 4 or fewer cams. But whenever I use it to search a M5014 recorded video on SD, it crashes the camera to the point only a hard reset works. It also installs camera applications on the cameras which, in the case of my p3367s, can slow down the performance of the camera (fps).

ExacqVision Edge is Exaqc's version of their VMS designed specifically for Axis cameras that record to SD. You should definitely check them out (I believe you can download a free 30 day unlimited trial) and report back here what you find.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to bid Axis, even though it is a little more than my customer wants to spend. If I can have it installed and not have to go back and tweak it again and again, I will be satisfied.

For example, on my Dahua, responding to big changes in exposure settings, or switching between day and night mode, takes about 5 seconds when a light goes on or off, while on the Vivoteks it's about a second. That extra 4 seconds is a long time when something's going on that you want to see. Likewise, you can't completely turn of the IR on this cam. I'm assuming these things will be fixed as the software matures, but you never know.pc.gif