christina

Surveillance System design help for a beginner

First, I have average knowledge on home security systems with Z-wave and x10, and above average knowledge of computers and networking.

My husband and I own a private airport that is far from our current home and we would like to setup a surveillance system, price is no concern. If a couple of dealers would like to help me out I would be willing to purchase equipment off of them.

Anyway enough of the introduction, we are looking for about 5 cameras in total 2 indoors and 3 outdoors. They can be stationary but wouldn’t mind suggestions on a movable camera. I will be building a server for this setup for recording and remote monitoring over the internet.

I will be installing this equipment so if wireless is an option I would prefer that route. I think the farthest camera will be approx. 300 feet from the server. These cameras have to have great low light/night capabilities.

I know more information will be needed but I just would like somewhere to start, I have been researching and finally found this great forum!! I am sorry if it sounds like I want you guys to do all of the work but this will be my only installation and have a very busy schedule. Please don’t get mad as I am willing to pay for advise, but don’t want to get it locally because I trust forums more.

Please let me know your opinions even if it is something small as you all have greater knowledge than I in this field.

Once again THANKS GUYS!!!!

Welcome and hello.

- x10 is junk so don't waste your money

- where are you located?

- how many outdoor, indoor?

- distances between camera and DVR location?

- type of internet connection, static IP?

most of your answers to your question are within the forum. do a seach, read, then ask more specific questions.

I would avoid wireless if at all possible, to many interference problems

I think price should always figure in, unless your filthy rich. Some cameras can easily cost several thousand dollars each. There is so much that needs to be taken into consideration before someone can give you any real helpful advice. If money is no object I would suggest contacting a professional with good experience that stands behind their work.

You’ll be happier in the long run. You can end up paying more trying to do it yourself, than what a professional would charge, especially if you don’t have the time to study all the factors that come into play when setting up a system. X10 experience is the worst experience you can have, same with the cheap wireless devices, nobody with serious security needs would use that crap. Don’t mean to sound negative, just telling it like it is.

If you are determined to do it yourself at least peruse this forum and try and learn as much as possible.

I greatly appreciate all of your responses, I will rule out the wireless, x10 was never an option but I had good luck with zwave for home use. Anyway I am located in Michigan. There is currently a static IP through Charter Communications. I am going to take my question one step further and make a trip to the airport for some measuring and get an exact count for indoor/outdoor cameras. Until I get this information I am going to keep studying on this forum! I will update when I have more information. Thanks alot guys!!

Christina,

I've been in the Industry for a good number of years designing systems and I believe you can go with a good basic 8 camera package that will fit your needs quite well. Running the cameras back to the DVR on a standard RG59U cable is not "Rocket Science" to install with a little training on BNC connectors. If you've handled RJ45 connectors on a data network, then these should be a snap.

Low Light or Day Night cameras would e your best bet possibly with some IR illumination in outlying areas of the facility.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss applications.