sneg_mike

rg59 siamese rot ! Help

For my back yard cam I ran siamese cable when I will building under 12 months ago

I left about 300mm of cable hanging under the eaves

went to fit off the cam today and all the copper braid had rotted ! broke away and was like charcoal ! wft ?

I striped back about another 200mm and still was rotted ?

not too sure what to do here ?

It's got wet and capillary action has drawn water up the cable ( a perfect place) and destroyed your cable.

It needs replacing, unless you want poor performance from your equipment. I am sorry there isn't a less

severe answer but if you leave an open end exposed thats what happens. A small plastic bag over the end with a rubber band or cable tie to secure it would have protected the cable for a few days at least, if not longer. A dab of silicone grease or petroleum jelly would have helped too.

Personally I only would replace it with cat5 cable, a good quality external cable.

if you want to use coax get outddoor rated that is gel filled that will prevent the wicking that occures whenever you get any mositure in the cable the outdoor rated is also sunlight resistant which can be part of the problem

if you want to use coax get outddoor rated that is gel filled that will prevent the wicking that occurs whenever you get any mositure in the cable the outdoor rated is also sunlight resistant which can be part of the problem

Since this is your own property, you may be able to afford such expensive cable, it would definitely be worth it. In the commercial world however there isn't enough margin left to blow it all on expensive cable.

I still feel that Cat5e outdoor cable with passive baluns will do you better. If you want to use Cat5e outdoor cable until the cable enters the property, you can then get an IDC junction box and switch to standard solid core Cat5e which is easier to work with and a lot more economic. If you don't have an IDC punchdown tool you can get plastic disposable ones for about $1 or less. The one below will also strip the outer jacket of Cat5 without nicking the inner cores.

One more thing buy some wire end ferrules and use then when connecting into the baluns at each end they will improve the connection (24awg)

203333_1.jpg203333_1.1203333_2.jpg203333_3.jpg

What do you mean WTF? Leave a penny on your windowsill outside and tell us what it looks like in a month.

I say "WFT" because the other 4 cables where fine and this one was the best protected from them all.

lol no penny's here is Australia

if you want to use coax get outddoor rated that is gel filled that will prevent the wicking that occurs whenever you get any mositure in the cable the outdoor rated is also sunlight resistant which can be part of the problem

Since this is your own property, you may be able to afford such expensive cable, it would definitely be worth it. In the commercial world however there isn't enough margin left to blow it all on expensive cable.

I still feel that Cat5e outdoor cable with passive baluns will do you better. If you want to use Cat5e outdoor cable until the cable enters the property, you can then get an IDC junction box and switch to standard solid core Cat5e which is easier to work with and a lot more economic. If you don't have an IDC punchdown tool you can get plastic disposable ones for about $1 or less. The one below will also strip the outer jacket of Cat5 without nicking the inner cores.

One more thing buy some wire end ferrules and use then when connecting into the baluns at each end they will improve the connection (24awg)

203333_1.jpg203333_1.1203333_2.jpg203333_3.jpg

thanks for the advice

but its too late now the house is built ! at that stage I did have over 150m left of cat6 from when I was doing the data. still being new to this I was unaware of passive baluns and their use.

Dead cables have only one useful purpose and thats for pulling through. Now you see why I don't like to secure cables where they wont later be accessible, they then cannot be used for a pull-through. I have used perfectly good cables as pull-throughs when an additional cable is needed on the same run. The time saving is often worth it.

If it isn't in view don't secure it unless there is a specific reason to. You wouldn't bother trying to fix cable when running it through conduit because there is NO REASON to.

Thats another reason I love using PVC or even metal conduit additional cables can be run in later and thats another reason to add an unused cable as a pull-through or even strong string.

update for anyone interested...

I had to pull of some roof sheets last weekend, whilst I was doing that I thought Id give this rotted cable another try one year on...

and guess what 4 meters ( meters not mm) in from the original mounting point the cable still had rot, I gave it a go anyway striped it back

put a joiner and connected some fresh cable to it, and hey presto video signal was fine nice and clear, my back yard cam is now working !

guess what 4 meters ( meters not mm) in from the original mounting point the cable still had rot, I gave it a go anyway striped it back put a joiner and connected some fresh cable to it, and hey presto video signal was fine nice and clear, my back yard cam is now working !

I do marine cable as well (in Australia) and once cable has been allowed to weather, it will continue to oxidise regardless of what you do. The siamese cable is already very thin. It will probably last a little while before it goes to the dogs, but I'd also be considering running something else next time - probably something that has been designed as outdoor cable, or run in a conduit.