don_b

Best Practices to drill on wood frame construction

Hi,

Just got my new Q-See 4 camera NVR security kit and I would like to install some of them on the outside of my home. I have a rough Idea of the locations on where the camera's will be placed.

I would like to know what would be the best way to get the ethernet cables from outside to the inside to my home. My home is brand new and is a typical wood frame construction. I have checked with the builder and he said that that the outside studs are 2x6.

* what kind of drill bit should I use? I have drywall on the inside and OSB sheathing + some kind of cement/wood siding on the outside.

* should I drill through the studs or through the OSB + insulation + drywall.

* what kind of sealant I should be using. ?

* would I have any issues with the outside wall insulation?

* should I drill from the outside - in or inside-out?

any other suggesstion will be highly appreciated.

I've used a few kinds of bits. If you're running multiple wires through one hole to the outside and splitting the direction from there (what I did for my house), a long spade bit or a short one with extension makes a big hole for not much money. A set of normal spade bits and an extension gives you lots of hole sizes and depths for not much money. Ship's auger works well too. Always drill the hole a bit bigger than you think you need it (easy future expansion is always nice and 4 cams won't cover a house and driveway well), and drilling a 2x4 first and testing the cables you want to pass through the hole first is a good idea. Spade bits and augers need their pilot hole to work properly. That means that making the hole slightly larger afterwards isn't just a matter of picking the next size up. Cat 5 runs and hides nicely under vinyl siding if that's what you've got. Don't drill your studs if you can help it. They're the structure and strength of your home. Sealant? Paintable caulking should be fine but is semi-permanent. I used tinfoil at first on mine for ease of changing/adding wires while still keeping the bugs out. Expanding foam in the hole when you're done wouldn't hurt especially if you're in a cold climate. Warm moist air from inside meeting cold air from outside means condensation inside your wall. I like drilling from the finished side on both sides if possible. Bits cut neater entering material than exiting. If you can do this you probably won't need a really long bit. A short one from both sides works fine. I'd also spend some time thinking about wire routing and especially camera and dvr placement before drilling.

Oh, and as vector18 so helpfully pointed out, any home install that isn't done using junction boxes and conduit with no exposed wiring is total crap.

Good idea for a thread! I can't add much, but I will say this, don't forget to add drip loop to any wire that is exposed.