Sign in to follow this  
Peter_

Axis Camera - Continuous Recording Problem

So I am trying to record footage from an Axis P33 series to a NAS, and I enabled "Continuous" recording inside the camera menu, and the NAS has ~500GB free space, yet the oldest recordings I am getting are 11 hours. I checked the recorded video folder on the NAS and it's only 11.3GB currently. Anyone have any thoughts for me, I'm kinda stuck here?

I just got one in for testing, but it may be a few days before I get to it to see if mine does the same thing. I would just open a problem ticket on their website. They are very good at getting back to you within 24 hours. Just make sure you attached the camera server report and system logs. Click on Setup --> System Options --> Download Server Report & System Log. Once someone is assigned to you, they are quick.

They waited so long to send me a P33, it became obsolete , it's the P3343 and the P3363 replaces it but actually works quite well in low light even without lightfinder. Maybe a good comparison for when they send me the new P33 with IR illuminators.

Yes, please do let me know if you have a similar problem.

Axis sends you these cameras for free? Do you have to return them?

They send them to me for free, but I either have to buy them or send them back after about a month or so. The only one we've bought was the Q6035E. I like to keep some as it helps answer ongoing questions people have but I only have so much room and as it is I have 4 cameras that came at once from Axis, besides the P33, a P13, M1014 and M5014.

The coolest one is the M5014, a mini PTZ dome and the pan/tilt is so fast, faster than a Q60 ($4K PTZ) and the zoom is about 3X digital but works pretty well. Looks like a mini 5" flying saucer on my desk. Just plugged it in for the first time like an hour ago. Would be a cool camera to put say in your living room and be able to look around the room like front door, windows and such remotely. It's an indoor camera but looks well sealed, IP51 and may work well under an eave that's protected in a temperate climate.

Also, the firmware I have says RELEASE="5.40.9.2"

The coolest one is the M5014, a mini PTZ dome and the pan/tilt is so fast, faster than a Q60 ($4K PTZ) and the zoom is about 3X digital but works pretty well. Looks like a mini 5" flying saucer on my desk. Just plugged it in for the first time like an hour ago. Would be a cool camera to put say in your living room and be able to look around the room like front door, windows and such remotely. It's an indoor camera but looks well sealed, IP51 and may work well under an eave that's protected in a temperate climate.

Great little camera the M5014, I reviewed that one earlier as well. And I installed mine outdoors under an eve as well. I checked on it recently and the outer plastic Ethernet cord cracked a bit where it was kinked at a ~90 degree angle, but no dust/moisture inside the camera yet, I'm impressed.

Do you have the P33 set to delete after 1 day (I believe that was the default). How long are you trying to continously record before it stops recording. I'm trying to clear my NAS now but it's soooo slow to delete all the files. I may have 100GB free soon.

Do you have the P33 set to delete after 1 day (I believe that was the default). How long are you trying to continously record before it stops recording. I'm trying to clear my NAS now but it's soooo slow to delete all the files. I may have 100GB free soon.

Thanks for looking into this. I had it set for 30 days, but I unchecked that box to see if I could get recordings to exceed 11/12 hours. Ideally a couple weeks of retention on this camera.

Just started recording, we will see if it's still recording after 12 hours. How did you know it stopped recording? Under recordings, did it say it stopped or just stopped growing files on the NAS? Was there a message in the system log that it stopped?

I tried playing one of the files and said unsupporrted format which is weird because the event recordings on the SD card record fine.

For what it's worth, each file contains 5 minutes of video.

Inside the Axis Camera Companion software if you select a camera it will tell you the length of recordings, in my case it was saying the oldest recording was 12 hours. I'll check it again tomorrow and see what it says.

It switched over to night mode, finally and it's looks like daytime with just the street light, no other light. Also, you can change the write interval in the advanced setup under recording group, it's set to 300 which confirms that it creates 5 minute long files.

204636_1.png

Still recording, about 9 hours so far.

Update: crossing the 12 hour mark.

Hmm, sounds like I set mine up wrong. Did you enable continuous recording from the cameras web interface?

OK, I'm shutting her down as I need to do other work with the camera, but it surpased 15 hours of recording. I started continuous recording by clicking on Recordings under Setup and clicking on Contineous and selecting the Enable check box. Disk Network Share, Profile Balanced.

655046353_AxisP3343-Recordings.jpg.430976d0483074187c79eb64d0514a2d.jpg

Thanks for the help buellwinkle, got it figured out. Also the official response from Axis was that I needed to free up more space on my NAS, as the camera will clear out old recordings faster if the NAS is at least 72% full.

Our of interest what resolutions are we recording with?

Was recording at 1280 x 800 from 4 cameras and in 2 weeks 650GB of space had been used.

Dropped it down to 800 x 450 and I will let you know how that goes.