jeromephone

SS drives

I am thinking of building a new server and wondered if anyone has used a ss drive for the operating system and then used a couple of regulare harddrives in a raid configuration. Would I gain any relaability or am I just spending extra for the ss drives. I am also thinking of two nics for running cameras on their own switch/IP addressing scheme.

My laptop has an SS for the primary and a regular for storage. The SS drive and the 3rd gen I7 chip makes everything super

fast. PSS runs very smoothly with a bunch of other programs running along with my torrents. If you can go SS, definitely

get one.

It is very nice... startup is much faster and access times for applications is pretty quick too (assuming you put them there).

I have never had the opportunity you understand but I am assuming that the aim id to speed the operating system and file transfer time, otherwise what would be the point ? I would love to know where this is leading and what your aims are.

Well, the first thing I think of over speed is reliability. Having a fast reliable OS drive is great, then you just add a HD or 6, or whatever to store the video on. If you lose a HD then the OS and all your settings and such are secure and it's much less downtime with just a storage drive.

Speed is impressive on the newest generation SSDs, one of the new s3700 enterprise class drive from Intel is rated for 14.6PB of writes on the drive! That is a lot of data, they rate them for 10 full drive writes a day for five years.

Really once I'm booted and in my software 99% of the work is now on the storage drive on a DVR so an SSD should last for a long, long time. I am currently not using SSDs in my DVRs, but I use them in my laptops, desktops, and servers. I use them as primary in my laptops, and as cache drives on the servers and desktops and it is a world of difference. Took a huge load off the drives on the servers and made a big overall speed increase with just 200gb of caching SSD.