vector18

How to get external IP remotely

If I know the ddns domain name of my customers DVR, is there way I can use IE to display the actual external IP numbers

rather than the name of the domain? What happened was I was fooling around in my ddns website and I accidentally

updated every customers IP to my modems IP address. And for some reason, the DVR's out there are not changing

the IP to the ddns server. So, if I can manually enter the customers IP in the ddns website, they can log in remotely again.

If you ping the DDNS address it will first resolve that name to the correct IP, and that is shown on the screen.

[attachment=0]ping.gif[/attachment]

Normally that would work, but in this case all IP addresses were accidently changed to his local IP address. So pinging "mydvr.whateverdnservice.com" will show his local IP address, not his clients.

What service are you using? I use Dyn.com and there's a Host Update Log file that can be accessed.

The problem is I accidentily redirected the ddns to MY own IP address. I need to figure out my clients IP via remotely.

I'm using nvrdns.com. It has a host update, but I didn't download it to my clients pc's. I thought the DVR would update the IP, but they do not seem to

be doing so for some reason?

I'm using nvrdns.com. It has a host update, but I didn't download it to my clients pc's. I thought the DVR would update the IP, but they do not seem to

be doing so for some reason?

If nvrdns was setup in the dvr I'd imagine it will update, but I'm not certain of the update frequency.

You can try looking for a cached copy of the nvrdns webpage on your local computer. That might contain all the former ip addresses.

Alternatively, do you have someone you can call at each site who can possibly give you their ip so you can manually change it back in the nvrdns service?

As a last resort (and I hate doing this) can you ask someone at each location to reboot the dvr or Internet connection device (dsl modem, cable modem, etc.)? That may force an update.

I'd rather keep the client out of the loop. I only had one call me and I talked him through it over the phone. How do I check the cache for previous ip's? I usually use pss which only has the domain in it. Either way, I think I'm screwed. Maybe I can drive by the clients house and try to reconnect to their wifi. It means more work for me, but I think it'll be worth it.

I figured that was well, or whatismyip.com. But, I do not see anywhere in nvrdns to manually enter the IP? It auto senses the IP that your on when you register your domain. There are not many options in that website. I guess thats why it's free, LOL.

I dare you to use moanmyip.com

Thank you " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

OK, update. I've discovered in the Dahua DDNS setting, that you are not supposed to use the 'private ddns'. Instead, I was supposed to

use dyndns in the ddns settings and in the domain IP I should enter nvrdns.com and than all other info. My dahua salesman said the private ddns is for

something else, or in other words, by using private, it does not send updates to a server.

So, what I have decided to do is all a few of my customers and tell them to go onto whatismyip.com. Once they read me their IP, I opened

explorer, entered their IP and my http port that I had already opened. Than I logged in to the their DVR or NVR and change the ddns settings.

Within a minute or so, the DVR sent the update and all is back to normal.

Hope this bit of info helps others to not make the same mistake!

If I know the ddns domain name of my customers DVR, is there way I can use IE to display the actual external IP numbers

rather than the name of the domain? What happened was I was fooling around in my ddns website and I accidentally

updated every customers IP to my modems IP address. And for some reason, the DVR's out there are not changing

the IP to the ddns server. So, if I can manually enter the customers IP in the ddns website, they can log in remotely again.

Short answer: you're screwed.

Long answer: The company I work for operates an smtp server which is used by thousands of clients for their dvr to send email. Somebody leaked the smtp's server info to anonymous or something and it got ddos'd off the map for like a month. The company moved the smtp to a new server which could better handle such a case, but since the smtp server is an actual ip address and not a domain name, this killed email for several thousand clients which we had no way to contact as... it was ONLY smtp... no pop3, no imap.

Email stops working. Client calls in. I provide new IP. Only the affected clients called in.

The ONLY way you're going to be able to fix this is to wait for your clients to call in. They can then provide you the ip from the dvr location which you can use to log into the dvr and presumably fix the ddns (if the dvr updates it) or their computer otherwise.

If they start asking questions, blame it on an outage from the ddns provider or on the dvr manufacturer.

If they start asking questions, blame it on an outage from the ddns provider or on the dvr manufacturer.

If they start asking questions, lie about it. Very professional.

beat me to it... not a good plan!

beat me to it... not a good plan!

It's not popular, but I stand by what I said. The reason for the outage is not important so long as you fix it and don't let it happen again. If you don't want to lie, tell them you were playing with the ddns service, you know, for ****s and giggles, and broke it. That'll go over a lot better. /sarcasm

I don't install these professional. I troubleshoot them professional. This means I take something that has stopped working and I fix it. I leave 'how it got broke' out of the equation (unless it's likely to repeat if not addressed). I find that explaining why it broke takes a lot of time away from fixing the issue. My employer requires that the issue be resolved (or the call ended) within 30 minutes.

• "Your dvr failed to update the ddns and your ip address changed and that's why it stopped working. We just need to fix the ddns settings"
    "I was playing with the ddns and inadvertently updated everybody's to my ip. Your dvr failed to fix it so now we just need to fix the ddns settings"

Which of the two do you think is more professional?