Numb-nuts

Why can't manufacturers get the message

Why can't manufacturers get the message? LOTS of installers are using Cat5 to install cameras, dome cameras are for the most part notoriously hard to use with passive inline baluns as there is nowhere to hide the balun or the BNC & DC connections for that matter.

I recently discovered some Pecan dome cameras while preparing a quote and they all seem to have UTP termination aswell as the traditional BNC (and they are all 12/24V)

Why don't manufacturers;

1. design in some space into outdoor dome housings?

2. Design their cameras with a UTP option? Surely incorporating UTP into the camera makes it sell better

as it's more versatile we all know how minimal the price of a line balun is?

We can't always install a camera where there is an empty void above the camera to hide connections so a UTP option inside the housing would be a welcome option. So would a 12VDC 24VAC option although not essential if it impacts on the price

GRIPE OVER

Why can't manufacturers get the message? LOTS of installers are using Cat5 to install cameras, dome cameras are for the most part notoriously hard to use with passive inline baluns as there is nowhere to hide the balun or the BNC & DC connections for that matter.

I recently discovered some Pecan dome cameras while preparing a quote and they all seem to have UTP termination aswell as the traditional BNC (and they are all 12/24V)

Why don't manufacturers;

1. design in some space into outdoor dome housings?

2. Design their cameras with a UTP option? Surely incorporating UTP into the camera makes it sell better

as it's more versatile we all know how minimal the price of a line balun is?

We can't always install a camera where there is an empty void above the camera to hide connections so a UTP option inside the housing would be a welcome option. So would a 12VDC 24VAC option although not essential if it impacts on the price

GRIPE OVER

What specific manufacturers are you cussing?

I am not cussing any specific manufacturer I was being more general than that. There are hundreds of the frogeye mini domes on the market but try mounting one to a brick wall or concrete post and try hiding the connectors...! The answer, is to charge £10 -£15 for a plastic "ring" which in effect is a plastic spacer which often isn't water resistant and makes the camera look strangely out of proportion.

I reluctantly have to put IP66 boxes on the wall next to these and frankly it looks appalling.

Ordinary indoor domes are the worst offenders, it simply isn't acceptable to put an outdoor junction box on the wall adjacent to the camera. Often it means getting into the ceiling often finding no void and having to make some real compromises. The whole thing is severely disjointed.

could be that with the trend to IP they are not changing connectiions on their lines and will be concentrating on their IP lines.

Could be but I am sure that there is still a place for analogue especially since almost every DVR now has netserver integrated.

When the price of IP comes down I see a rapid decline in the need for Analogue but I don't see any real evidence that the price of IP is coming down significantly, do you?

PSG have been putting UTP in their EXT domes for a couple years so have QVIS

As you say trying to hide connections has always been an issue with all in one eyeballs but i havent used them in 5 years+ as i personally detest them, everyone uses the same case but its whats inside that counts

I have always hollowed out a larger hole if necessary to hide the terminations.

My pet peeve, and I will call names here, American Dynamics brought out a nice dome camera that could not see down a corridor when mounted on a ceiling. The design of this little dome was such that when the camera was level looking down the hall, the plastic dome cover would not fit. Since then I have run across 3 other manufacturers that had the same problem, Stardot, Ganz and Digital Watchdog.

The Stardot dome would not fit when it was pointed straight down.

Qvis cameras I hev only fitted their Eyeball domes to date and not one of the customers bought the mounting ring. The ring is a reak rip off as it's merely a spacer and not the least bit water resistant either and the price even at trade is enough to put customers off buying them.

You are right about the domes being whats inside. I have had comments like I can buy that one on ebay for £20 and you sell it for £130/ They are different cameras and the ones I use are the top of the range. I am beginning to detest them too.

Which QVIS Domes have the UTP features, I like dealing with the UK agents and I would buy them but the distributor don't list the UTP as a feature. I have just prepared a quote using the HF2 cameras they seem to have all the features I wanted except they don't list the UTP as a feature. If it is that'd be great. Quotes are in now anyway so too late to change the spec. I'll have to wait until work starts.

I only use vandal domes from Qvis with W5 chip non IR, VAN 2004 model, its in catalogue and they have UTP

PSG are available from Alarm supplies/Enterprise and again the anti Vandal domes have UTP

Also Trade CCTV do Twilight Pro Neptune with UTP

I only use vandal domes from Qvis with W5 chip non IR, VAN 2004 model, its in catalogue and they have UTP

PSG are available from Alarm supplies/Enterprise and again the anti Vandal domes have UTP

Also Trade CCTV do Twilight Pro Neptune with UTP

Does it give good results because its REALLY expensive compared to the Pecan or Honeywell or even Alien offerings which it has to be said aren't far off that price with 3 yr warranty instead of two. I know they all use a similar base and casing and are genericaly the same camera. I want to see some internal domes with UTP and especially the eye cameras with UTP as hiding a balun is expensive and often very difficult.

I have to cut a 20mm hole in the ceiling and insert the connections to hide them, if the clients could see they'd have a conniption-fit.

But of course you can't do that in brick without making a real mess. Oh why do I get hung up on such details, "it's coz I care what it looks like wen itz finished init." ahih ahih ahih