Sign in to follow this  
Razesdark

A mobile camera

I was wondering if any of you have created/supplied a mobile camera set to any customers.

And if so, what communications methods did you use ? UMTS/GPRS etc.

And do you happen to know how often the customers use it due to transmission costs.

And what kind of settings do you use for the camera.

To me it seems like a very costly solution. Our security team wants one which they can put near our roads but I recon that is going to costs allot of bandwidth.

Specially since you're dealing with cars so you can't just choose a low resolution (can't read plates) nor low framerate (missing cars).

And when dealing with GPRS etc., lots of bandwidth means you need a good filled wallet.

It could be that bandwidth costs are just rediculous here in the Netherlands, which wouldn't suprise me.

So I was wondering what your experiance is in the matter and what your opinions are regarding these mobile sets.

Get a camera that can record locally to SD card or NAS drive at full resolution. Then use a second low resolution stream to view the camera live. When there's an incident, drive out there, swap SD card or NAS and view the video back in the office where you have unlimited very high speed access to the video.

We use mobile broadband via Verizon Wireless (part owned by Vodafone in Europe) in the U.S. and we do this and it's cost effective. If we want to look at live video, it's done at VGA resolution at a lower frame rate but it records at full frame rate, full 3MP resolution on a Mobotix camera to SD card in low traffic areas and NAS in higher traffic areas. Our costs are fairly low, 4GB is $30/mo and $20 per location up to 5 sharing that same 4GB. If you want to look at 3MP all day long, 24/7, you will not be happy with the costs. Also, Axis can write to NAS or SD card, look for Axis camera that have Edge Storage.