Sign in to follow this  
LLigetfa

Can I convert this to digital?

Attached is the TOC page from the manual for our 90's vintage camera system that has fallen into disrepair. Everything got ripped out of the guard station, leaving only the coax feeds terminated in the ceiling into GI transformers. Some of the cameras have a single coax for both video and control but most of them dual coax.

I contacted the company that originally installed them but I'm not sure they have any old-timers that would know how this stuff comes together.

Is it a lost cause?

Panasonic.thumb.jpg.b9508b6f8f3d2e9d030c733cb1177daa.jpg

Searching on the word "Panasonic" found 3086 matches so surely there must be a Panasonic expert here that can render an opinion?

I emailed the TOC page to AXIS to see if they could spec a video encoder but came up empty. I even sent them schematics.

Searching on the word "Panasonic" found 3086 matches so surely there must be a Panasonic expert here that can render an opinion?

I emailed the TOC page to AXIS to see if they could spec a video encoder but came up empty. I even sent them schematics.

If you are happy with the cameras then just get rid of the VCR & multiplexer. Replace them with a quality DVR of your choice

a panasonic expert is not necessary. these are all analog cameras and should work fine with any ip encoders, or as the toss suggests, just replace the mux and vcr with a new dvr (hybrid or otherwise). the only compatibility concern will be pal or ntsc.

Hi there LLigetfa.

As the others have said, you can use the camera composite video outputs with pretty much anything - encode it over IP packets, or connect them to a DVR. You'll just need to find out how to power the cameras...

However, the WV-CS304 is a combination camera - one of Panasonics small PTZ devices. If you want to control this, you'll need something that can send the "up the coax" commands to it, such as an old Panasonic multiplexer, or Panasonic DVR. The WV-7260 is a pan-tilt mount, which is controlled through the WV-RC150 decoder via "up the coax" commands as well.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm not so much concerned about converting the analog video stream to digital. My concern is the control of the PTZ and wipers.

As for ripping out the head end, that was done long ago. All that is left are the GI transformers in the ceiling.

What would I need to put in to control the PTZ and wipers? I was hoping to control and record everything through Milestone.

OK, I'm not excessively familiar with Panasonic PTZ and haven't heard of Milestone, so this is the result of a 5 minute serarch and lots of assumptions...

Milestone claim to have a plug-in for the WV-CU950, which is the Panasonic PTZ keyboard (see Milestone's website here: http://www.milestonesys.com/Support/Technical-Support/Download-software/, search for "CU950").

The WV-CU950 can control a WJ-HD300 digital video recorder (see here: http://ssbu-t.psn-web.net/Products/System%20component/WJ-CU650%20Series/Manual/English/PAL/o5cu650e.pdf on page 20). The DVR can control the PTZs and wipers.

How to get all that to talk and work together would be "interesting", but it at least appears to be possible. Whether it is economical to do it is questionable. What condition are the cameras in? Being old, they might no longer work. What condition are they in? Clean, dusty, or rusty?

Thanks for the detailed response. It is starting to sound expensive if I have to put in a Panasonic PTZ keyboard. I guess I was hoping that something like an AXIS Q series video encoder might do.

We have no idea what state the equipment is in as it hasn't been used in years and would only find out after hiring someone to evaluate it. Maybe the original firm that installed it will get back to me, or maybe not. They know our industry is in severe decline and that we don't have deep pockets.

The PTZ control is a RS-485/422 protocol. Need to know what the protocol is first.

Pelco P

Pelco D

Tyco/AD

Kaletel ASCII

Kaletel Digiplex are just a few.

Since the head end was already ripped out you may have to go to the camera and check dip switch settings.

Most PTZs are capable of several protocols depending on dip switch settings.

Not familiar with Panasonic. My experience is with GE Cyber Dome, Cyber Dome II, and Legend PTZs

Thanks for your input. My guess is that this is not going to happen anyway. They announced that they are idling more than half of the plant and laying off more than half of the workers. Loss prevention is deemed too expensive... cheaper to let them steal.

Never did hear further from the firm that installed the cams.

Never did hear further from the firm that installed the cams.

I got a six figure proposal from them to forklift the entire system. That's not going to happen anytime soon.

First off, I think you check out detail in compliane PTZ protocol list to one video encorder/NVR you are intention to deploy. I remember PANASONIC is seems programmed dedicated protocol.

Then you could ask supplier offer or download manual alomost big brand has support detail pin code assignment diagram for instruction.

Cheers