ogie delos reyes

Installing a long distance CCTV camera

I have to install a CCTV camera which is almost 700 meter far from the DVR and monitor.is it okay if i use a CAT5 UTP wire? will i use a video balun? how about the power supply? can you help me with this sir.

way too far for Cat5

Is it line of site from camera to House? Use a long range wireless tranmitter at camera and reciever at house end

Power as close to camera as possible

If not line of site then Co-ax but you will need a inline amp midway

so it is advisable for me to use a wireless camera for that distance sir? coz somebody told me that wireless cameras are hard to use.they are more susceptible to interference and a lot more expensive.can you advise me with this sir? tnx.

so it is advisable for me to use a wireless camera for that distance sir? coz somebody told me that wireless cameras are hard to use.they are more susceptible to interference and a lot more expensive.can you advise me with this sir? tnx.

Use a quality CCTV Camera and connect it to a Transmitter - Do not buy Wireless all in one camera

Use external antenna on both transmitter and reciever to help signal

Fit a 12v External Boxed PSU below camera or in a Security box near pole

way too far for Cat5

Is it line of site from camera to House? Use a long range wireless tranmitter at camera and reciever at house end

Power as close to camera as possible

If not line of site then Co-ax but you will need a inline amp midway

In my experience most people who suggest wireless systems have never tried to use them. I don't know where the OP resides but in most countries there are restrictions as to the spectrum use. For example in Aust there are certain public access frequencies that are licence free. The radiated power O/P limit is 10mW. You are not even supposed to use high gain antennas. These frquencies are crammed full of devices putting out all sorts of spurious garbage. This & the need for a wide bandwidth makes them next to useless for CCTV. The serious installations use a licenced frequency allocation & achieve good results. So for 99% of people on this forum going wireless is throwing your money down the drain.

For good results over long distance coax you will need pre-emphasis on the camera end to equalise the line losses as well as pre-amplification. This will involve doing a Freq/atten check up to about 5Mhz & adjust pre-emphasis for a flat response at the receive end. Post amplification may also be required but usually only as a last resort as the noise level will also be increased.