Sign in to follow this  
sequoia

Is the AXIS P3364-VE a good fit for my needs?

I currently use Bosch WDR cameras and traditional DVR systems, and they work OK for my needs. I am looking to upgrade to IP cameras, am comfortable with spending about $1,000 per camera, and want functionality to connect over the internet via PC or (ideally) a droid phone also.

My two immediate applications are to watch my front yard area which is located in a cul-de-sac. The area to view is about 150' deep by 150' wide. My second application is to watch the rear area of my business. This is a smaller area of maybe 75' deep and 50' wide.

I've always consider AXIS a good brand, but I am new to IP cameras and don't know anything about needed NVR's, licenses, etc.

Is the AXIS P3364-VE a good starter camera to meet the above needs and get me started into the IP world?

I've been waiting for the P3364-LVE version of this camera due out soon to do a review on. The LVE version is the same camera, but one of the first outdoor Axis cameras with an illuminator. I just reviewed the precedessor and low light performance is very good, but it only had 800x600 resolution, the newer models are 720P. It's a good camera, solid construction, good automatic back-focus. You don't even need NVR software, you can use their Axis Camera Companion, it's free software that views the cameras and recordings made directly by the camera to an SD card or to a NAS. They in theory have an Android and IOS app, but the reviews are not encouraging and I say in theory because it's apps recomended by Axis, but not developed or sold by Axis.

I can tell you that with a wide view of the cul-de-sac, 720P resolution, you will not likely be able to ID anyone further than about 15-20' away. At 150' away, their heads may be 1-2 pixel tall. So it depends on your objectives. Do you want to just see stuff happen, for example see that Fedex truck came through the cul-de-sac or have enough resolution to identify a person?

If you want to ID people, you may need much higher resolution or a PTZ camera.

Great responses, thank you. And a great review-- very helpful.

Although I want to view what is happening up to 150' away, I would like to do facial recognition within about 50' or closer. If I bumped up to 2MB do you feel this is achievable, or would the 5MP camera be required?

Finally I also looked at the AXIS P3384VE. Does this model differ much from the P3364-VE?

Thanks!

I can tell you, in my driveway, a 2MP camera can ID someone about 25' away, barely, with the 4.5mm lens. I'm upgrading to 3MP as soon as I have time to get a ladder out and put it in. Could use that with the same viewing angle to get 50% further out, or increase my viewing angle which is what I'll probably do.

Axis doesn't make a 2MP version that I am aware of. If you want to ID at 150' you might have to go all the way up to the 5MP version of the P33. They also make a 3MP version that you could try.

Obviously cost goes up as the MP of the camera goes up and as Buellwinkle has repeatedly indicated the higher the MP of the sensor the worse the low light performance although in general Axis is supposed to be particularly good in this area.

I have the P3364-VE on order and it will be here tomorrow (I will be using it in conjunction with an Axton IR for front monitoring of my home). I have a similar requirement to yours for monitoring of my residence, but in my particular case I don't need facial recognition, I just use the cameras for 'keeping an eye on things' when I'm not around. I do have 1MP 720P cams at the doors so that I can ID someone who is there.

If I like how the P3364 works out I will get another 1-2 to monitor other home entry points like the sides of the home where there is better lighting at night.