ajdedo

1 Step away from getting a dog !!!

Hi,

I thought i had it figured out, but the more i read, the more help i need !!

So can someone please help me with my situation..... Thanks a lot

I'm looking for a DVR for my home. I've been broken in to twice already. Nothing serious, but it really bugs me.....

My budget keep getting higher the more I read, but realistically, i think i need to cap it off at $1000 USD.....

I've been looking at the G4-4XCD because of the price and the J2000, but I am no longer sure.

http://www.protectiondepot.com/dvmr4xcd.asp

Picture quality of course, is important..... The one thing i would like, is to be able to recognize whoever is doing it.

Motion detection is also important, because 90% of the time, there won't be any motion on any of the cameras. So it is crucial the when there is, the recorder turns on !!!

4 channels is also important. 6 would be nice too, but not essential.

And finally, some sort of basic IP/TCP or remote web viewing. Not really because i need it, but because i 'think' i may need it

So can anyone help ??!?

Thanks so much if you can

your asking for a lot for 1000. If I had that budget I'd get a DLINK PTZ (wireless) and a router. The DLINK will connect to the router and the router to a PC. The recording (motion) is done on the PC. DLINK's better than X10 but NOT the quality you are looking for at 1000. You can't get it with your budget, sorry. On your budget you can afford 2 of these and a linksys router.

You'll need to set up motion lighting with the above camera because it is not low light.

And, buy some very cheap bargin basement bullets, about 5 of them, and put them up around the house so all can see them. Run the wires into the eves to make it look good. Fake'm when you can't afford'm.

oh, the dog....forget it, buy a gun and wait.

4 B/W Bullets and an AvTech 4 c hannel DVR

You need the cameras to catch the criminals when they poison the poor dogs ..

Hi,

Well those responses weren't too inspirational, but at least it's a start..... I should mention.....

1) My budget of $1000 is only for the DVR, I will pay extra for the cameras

2) I would rather not use my PC, i think it's just too fallible

3) I have a Linksys router

4) And What about the product I mentioned ??? The G4-4XCD ???

Thanks again.

My budget of $1000 is only for the DVR, I will pay extra for the cameras

This makes a big difference. But keep in mind, if you buy a cheaper camera, you'll get a cheap image and will be buying a better one. Know this from experience.

For camera suggestions, we need to know how much light is in the area you want the camera to watch. Streetlamps, motion floodlights, nothing, etc. What is the distance you want to view from each camera? A large backyard, just a door, etc.

Hi, Thanks for asking.....

I was going to focus on the DVR first, then deal with the cameras later, but since it's been mentioned, My scenario would be....

Camera 1 : Outside : Long narrow driveway through the trees. Little light during the day, none at night. 10ft - 50ft lineal range. To be able to recognize a car/license would be good.

Camera 2 : Outside : Yard. Bright during day. Dim to dark at night. 400 - 1000 square ft to observe. No special requirements.

Camera 3 : Inside : Must be a small discreet camera. 250 square ft room. Bright during day. A string of approximately 20, 7watt christmas lights on at night. It would be nice to recognize a face/person.

Camera 4 : Inside : Must be small and discreet. 250 square foot room. Bright during day. Often, but not always, dark at night. Would be nice to recognize a person.

In my head, I allocated $700 - $1000 for cameras, but i may be wrong....

Thanks

4 B/W Bullets and an AvTech 4 c hannel DVR

You need the cameras to catch the criminals when they poison the poor dogs ..

Hi Rory,

Can I ask why you recomended the AvTech 4 channel over the G4-4Xcd ??

Thanks.

Yup. My suggestion would be same as rory, get AVTech. it'll fit your need and budget.

w/o including the HDD, it's only.

http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/product_13_773w.htm

If you want better netwrok feature, triplex, you can consider this.

http://www.lakson.com.sg/new/products-SLeeK-PDR-JSeries.htm

ard USD$654 w/o the harddisk.

Both model with harddisk included will be < USD$1k.

Lots of other models available as well. Can look ard.

Note: End User Retail Price posted. NOT DEALERS NOR INSTALLER PRICE.

You're focused (no pun) on installing video and that's great, but the video is for "after the fact". Let's try and stop them before they get in!

How are they breaking in? Back door, window?

Do you have a basic alarm system in place already?

Have you considered upgrading doors, windows?

Rapid

i agree with rapid totally.

Furthermore, what you are looking for should be an Intrusion detection system aka Buglar Alarm System.

CCTV's to review what had happens AFTER it happens. Depending on the quality of recording, area, etc, it might or might not lead to apprehension of the prepetrator.

You might be better off PREVENTING it rather than REVIEWING it.

True, under 'normal' circumstances I would agree 100%, an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. However, my situation may be slightly unique......

First off, they got in because I left the door open.

You see, I live in a VERY small north west coastal town. 2900 people. The nearest cop is at least 20 minutes away, and everyone knows everyone. What I'm protecting is more then just property, it's a way of life. I haven't locked my door in eight years, no one does, and that's what makes it so charming..... Break-ins happen very rarely, but when they do, they take a small piece away from the idealistic lifestyle that everyone here likes to believe they live in......

Chances are it was probably was bored neighbourhood kids. But perhaps not. It's difficult to tell. It could have even been a 'friend', or a friend of a friend. Odds are I would recognize them, If not know their name...... Not much was taken. My MP3 player and some loose change. But it's the principal that bothers me. And safety to a certain extent too......

Everyone here has between 1 and 10 acres of land, there are no street lights, LOTS of trees, and 90% of the time it's pitch black. I can't tell if it a grizzly bear, a deer, or that illusive psycho from the last movie I watched luring in my yard. Odds are it's an animal, but it would still be nice to see what makes those branches break in the middle of the night.

I can't really put bars on the window, nor completely secure my house. If i'm not home, and someone REALLY wanted to get in. They could spend hours with a chainsaw cutting through an exterior wall and no one would ever hear them. Though I doubt it would come to that. So my tactic is a bit more stealth. Lock a DVR in the closet, put up some cameras, and hopefully, one day, in the next eight years, satisfy my curiosity...... In the meanwhile, I can watch those bears dragging my trash through the yard at 3 in the morning......

i would spend the cash on a really sweet LCD

oh yeah, and a very good PC, then add a real time DVR Card such as the Geo 1240 or 1480, or buy a ready built system like VueStar (scottj), then add some decent cameras.

IR like Extreme cameras for pitch dark locations ... depends what your budget is .. im myself am tired of the work involved with custom cameras and regular housings, so im just sticking with the all in ones now, Extreme makes some nice cameras for that, and if you use a view finder in the day to get an exact lens focal point, you can order the camera preset for that. Bullet cameras do only so much, and then you need some "real" Infrared ..

anyway, depends what you are looking to spend, PM me if you like ..

There are ofcourse the budget stand alone DVRs ... but you get what you pay for, you will definately get more fun out of a full featured DVR over a basic unit ..

Rory

PS. Sounds like a sweet place to live