sequoia

AXIS P-1214E outdoor covert IP camera

AXIS just introduced their line of covert IP cameras. This is exactly what I have needed for some time. I would pair these with the AVTECH units that can recognize AXIS cameras and cause a still shot to be emailed when a sensor is tripped.

Questions- for someone starting out brand new with IP cameras, what would I need or what would you suggest purchasing in addition to the camera? I have a POE device already, but do I need IP camera software, a NVR, or ????

My application is to monitor and capture the identify of each person visiting my business, i.e. similar to capturing a photo of each person using an ATM machine. I would also like the ability to remotely login to the camera to view it and I have DSL or better at each of my locations.

If your goal is to be able to quickly review video tied to events, I say look at Avigilon. Their core version is very low cost (you do have to provide a PC).

I'm attacted to this model because it separates the lens from the rest of the camera. Therefore you only need to mount/hide/disguise the lens itself, not the lens and camera body.

One application I have is to install a camera within a block wall (filled with concrete and rebar), so trying to put a full size cam in such a location is a non-starter. My money changer is flush with the block wall with a stainless steel face so mounting something the size of a regular camera on the external wall would be prohibitively weird looking. With this model it is my understanding I can hollow out enough of the exterior of the block wall for the lens part, run the cable through the wall to the processing unit, add a discreete looking flush mount cover, and be done. That is appealing compared to making something much larger for a standard camera.

Another application is to put a lens in between shelves of a vending machine pointing out through the glass looking at the customer (or vandal!) Again, no room for a standard camera. Right now both of these applications have overhead cameras pointing down, and of course if someone wears a hat in that scenario I have no way to get a good identity shot.

Is there any model of Avigilon that offers such a similar capability? I'm not sold on any particular brand, and I know Avigilon has a great reputation, but the small size of this unit will let install it in areas that were not before possible. (I did experiment with some analog covert board cameras but back then the resolution was too poor.)

Finally, I'm comfortable at $1,000/camera if I am buying quality. I could push that to $1,500 or so if there are better options to choose from ....

Whoops one more thing. Another potential appeal with Axis is that the AVTECH monitor products automatically sense/identify AXIS cameras within the same network, and you can supposedly have the AVTECH device do the "sensing" part of an alarm condition and it would then grab a screen shot from the camera and email it.

This separates the decision on whether to email a photo to the logic device instead of relying on motion detect within the camera. If it is simply emailed on camera motion detect, I would always get an image whether I wanted it or needed it or not. If I rely on the AVTECH logic device to figure it out I can cut way way back on how many images would get sent, depending on factors I can program in and control externally.

Is there any model of Avigilon that offers such a similar capability? I'm not sold on any particular brand, and I know Avigilon has a great reputation, but the small size of this unit will let install it in areas that were not before possible. (I did experiment with some analog covert board cameras but back then the resolution was too poor.)

With your budget it's easy to go with Avigilon

Any Analog cam connected to Avigilon 4 Ch IP Encoder plus one soft LIc and you done

If anyone has used one, how is the image quality in low light? Am I correct that this does not offer a night mode (BW, IR sensitive)? Too bad, because a lot of covert uses are in low light environments where at least B/W would be useful. This also appears to be the path Axis is taking with their cheaper M line of cameras - none have night mode.

It's a cool device but I am disappointed with the image quality. I have only fired it up in side and I thought it had a very narrow depth of field.

Do you have any control over the focal point? Say you were wanting to focus on an area 30ft away.

i have a p1204 (different mounting design, indoor only, but same guts). image quality is so-so with the pinhole lens, but that's to be expected with a pinhole. i believe there's a 'regular' type lens available as well that's probably better.

low light is pretty lousy though. it's color-only, no night mode, so it won't work with ir, and it gets really noisy when the light drops. i'd only use one in a situation with good lighting.

For a covert cam I'd say the quality is very good. I also like the idea of having an overhead cam looking directly down at the cash. I might end up doing something similar at work.

No, I saw the video. I assumed that when the video view showed the shots as if they were using the 1214 it actually WAS the 1214. Do you think Axis used another superior camera for the ENTIRE video and misrepresented the 1214's video quality? If so then I obviously retract my statement and am less than pleased with the deception played by Axis. You've got one. In your opinion did Axis play us false?

Thanks for finding and posting the video by the way. I enjoyed it and learned something from it.

No, I saw the video. I assumed that when the video view showed the shots as if they were using the 1214 it actually WAS the 1214. Do you think Axis used another superior camera for the ENTIRE video and misrepresented the 1214's video quality? If so then I obviously retract my statement and am less than pleased with the deception played by Axis. You've got one. In your opinion did Axis play us false?

Thanks for finding and posting the video by the way. I enjoyed it and learned something from it.

With the way it was presented I thought they made it pretty clear what the view from the actual camera looked like. They probably could have given just a few more seconds of each actual shot though considering the length of time the broadcast camera shots took up. The most important aspect of the video I thought was the animations showing the cameras being installed.

For the price its pretty reasonable considering Axis quality. Wonder what the ratio of creep vs actual surveillance installations of this camera will be.

That's what I thought. Not quite sure what thewireguys was really asking if not how I knew what the camera quality was like if I didn't own one? He doesn't seem impressed with the video quality judging from the one he has used personally but from that video clip I'd say the 1214 was an order of magnitude ahead of the two covert cams I have. One is a KT&C pinhole bullet and the other one I forget. It was so covert it got misplaced somewhere.

He's had a lot more time to play with a 1214 firsthand than the short shots in that video, but considering the limitations of covert cams I thought the video shots were very good. I was wondering if his experience showed a large difference from what I have to assume were legitimate sample shots in the video???

Not sure what the creep ratio will be. I'd bet that the biggest problem is creeps in cellphone and computer stores that collect and distribute pictures and video that people took themselves.

i did discover with mine that the focus was off slightly with the pinhole lens - it's spring-tensioned, no locking screw, so it can wander with handling. image quality improved a fair bit with the focus tweak.