DHerrel

Wireless Security Systems?

Hi Everyone,

I'm need to buy a wireless security system for my house. I only need a couple cameras for my driveway and the front door. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff but I cant run wires to where i need the cameras. I called a couple website's but the few that I called couldn't explain very well how any of it works exactly.

One of the websites that I called said that the cameras still need to be plugged in to an outlet and the adapters aren't weatherproof? Is that normal?

Also, another website said that the cameras cant go any farther than 300ft and walls will make it not able to go as far. For some reason it sounds like every where I call they are just trying to sell me there most expensive stuff?

Does anyone know of a system like this that you know to be reliable, simple and relatively inexpensive?

I am new to the forum so any information will help.

Reliable, simple, inexpensive, wireless, and camera do not go together, especially if you're running a hundred feet more more through walls. And yes, wireless cameras need power wires run to them. And no, the connectors aren't 100% waterproof or corrosionproof. Wires can be run just about anywhere if you own the place. If not, you might need your landlord's permission.

If you want a cheap start into learning how wireless might not be your best answer, Foscam sells some cheap wireless IP cams you can run from your computer. They work well enough for some people and might be enough for what you want. Depends a lot on what you and the rest of your neighbours have in the air for wireless pollution that'll interfere and shorten their range.

Wireless cameras still need power as you have seen. Running CAT5 isn't as big of a deal as it seems.

Thanks for the reply,

I did a little more research and this is what I found. I called foscam.com and everything sounded great until they said the cameras would slow down my already crawling internet speed. I am only on a year lease so I'm almost sure drilling holes is out of the question but i think I found a solution. I found a youtube video and called a company that said I can just run short dc wires out windows to the cameras. The video has comments disabled and not a whole lot of views so it is a bit sketchy but it looks like it might work. Can anyone give any kind of quick reference to this company or the video?

Again thanks for the replys.

You can do the same with regular quality wired cameras. You can run the video signal and power of the CAT5, and just hang it out a window sill. I've done this before, I mounted the cameras on small 2x4x4 blocks of wood and just used some goop or RTV to hold them to the window sill. The only gotcha is waterproofing the connections, but you can make a makeshift junction box.