asm

Does camera mount directly to round junction box exist?

Long story short. My house came per-installed with a security camera looking out at the front door. According to all the reading I have done, it's a bullet type camera with adjustable arm to allow aiming at pretty much any direction. The base of the camera is mounted to a round electrical junction box. Since this camera does modulation internally and output the signal direct to RG-6 at channel 69, I don't suppose I can hook that up directly to my new DVR unit that is expecting BNC connection.

So, one option is to rip the rip the existing camera apart and by-passes the modulation circuitry. But, why do that I can take advantage of the situation and upgrade it to a color camera. Oh, yes, did I mention the existing camera is none-color? Now, If I'm going to buy a new camera, I would very much prefer the new camera can be mounted to the existing round junction box and have the wire routed via the camera arm. This would mean no holes to drill.

So can someone recommend that fits the following criteria

- bullet camera

- Preferred the exterior of camera to be white or some other light color. I always think black or silver colored camera on light stucco just look too much like a dollar store hack job.

- can be mounded directly to a round junction box

- color

- Since the front is always lit, I'd prefer to have no IR light on the camera

- IR-cut would be nice too.

Thanks

Long story short. My house came per-installed with a security camera looking out at the front door. According to all the reading I have done, it's a bullet type camera with adjustable arm to allow aiming at pretty much any direction. The base of the camera is mounted to a round electrical junction box. Since this camera does modulation internally and output the signal direct to RG-6 at channel 69, I don't suppose I can hook that up directly to my new DVR unit that is expecting BNC connection.

So, one option is to rip the rip the existing camera apart and by-passes the modulation circuitry. But, why do that I can take advantage of the situation and upgrade it to a color camera. Oh, yes, did I mention the existing camera is none-color? Now, If I'm going to buy a new camera, I would very much prefer the new camera can be mounted to the existing round junction box and have the wire routed via the camera arm. This would mean no holes to drill.

So can someone recommend that fits the following criteria

- bullet camera

- Preferred the exterior of camera to be white or some other light color. I always think black or silver colored camera on light stucco just look too much like a dollar store hack job.

- can be mounded directly to a round junction box

- color

- Since the front is always lit, I'd prefer to have no IR light on the camera

- IR-cut would be nice too.

Thanks

If you're scared of drilling a few holes then you aren't going to be capable of messing with the internal electronics of a CCTV camera.

My advice, Buy a drill, some wall plugs and a few screws then get a new camera and sell the old one on ebay....

In the long run you'll be happier with the results.

If you're scared of drilling a few holes then you aren't going to be capable of messing with the internal electronics of a CCTV camera.

Please don't get me wrong, I have no problem drilling holes. It's Just simply matter of personal preference of not wanting to drill unnecessary holes. Besides, If I do drill new holes to mount the new camera, I now have to patch up the existing 4" opening for the J-box. I'm pretty good at soldering on PCB, even working on SMD, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to patching up stucco wall.

I mounted an old Vivotek dome camera directly to a square junction box. I just drilled holes in a junction box cover to match the mount holes and cable, used stainless screws and nuts to mount it, and screwed it back on to the box. I needed room for a POE to DC converter, and this worked fine.

I only ran it a few months before switching to an eave-mounted bullet, but I could have mounted it on the junction box as well.

My cams are all IP now, so no suggestions except that it's time to switch!

Please don't get me wrong, I have no problem drilling holes. It's Just simply matter of personal preference of not wanting to drill unnecessary holes. Besides, If I do drill new holes to mount the new camera, I now have to patch up the existing 4" opening for the J-box. I'm pretty good at soldering on PCB, even working on SMD, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to patching up stucco wall.

Well if you feel confident, do it your way.

Let me just say that I patch up screw holes in brickwork all the time when fitting new cameras. I save a bit of the brick dust, and fill the old holes with anchor resin, (I use a syringe) and as it starts to harden I add a mixture 50/50 resin and brick dust mixed together. When it dries unless you know where to look you'd hardly notice it.

But it has just dawned on me you probably have a wood cladding or something similar.

What type fo J-box is it? Do you have a link to home depot or lowes.com?

I think he's referring to the small circular junction that we use with 20 or 25 mm round conduit.

207567_1.1OR 207567_2.1