EarlT

ACTI KCM-5511 vs KCM-5611

Forgot to mention one thing: For that given scenario, make sure the camera A has Digital Input/Digital Output hardware interface available. Many of ACTi cameras (especially cost-down product line) do not have DI/DO.

However, you could use Video Motion Detection as well (available in all ACTi cameras regardless of price range).

Scenario: Camera A detects motion, tells it to camera B, and camera B (PTZ) will turn and zoom into area to see the intruder from another viewing perspective.

Axis can also do this. Basically to setup an event in a fixed camera and when triggered send a HTTP command to another Axis camera. If you know the HTTP command you might even be able to trigger a Axis camera from a Acti camera.

My big issue with this if your using motion windows is what happens if you want to override the camera when an event is happening. Basically you can't and as your controlling the camera the HTTP commands will over ride your PTZ controls which at best gets extremely annoying. So in the real would there are very limited uses.

Yeah, that is true for the cases with human guard at the VMS. Sometimes we would like to "disengage the autopilot" to use the manual control without interruptions.

There are several ways to implement it when VMS is involved. I think the disabling event control simply by touching the PTZ controls is not a good idea as the unaware guard may actually miss the important event by frequent manual operations of PTZ, unwillingly.

I guess, the cleanest way would be to do it as they do it in airplanes - have a dedicated button to enable/disable autopilot. We could have similar button in VMS (next to PTZ buttons) to disable events control over presets. When pressed, it would send an URL command to the event source camera to disable the PTZ command messages to PTZ camera.

At the same time, the other responses to the alarm may still be active in VMS, such as warning beep sound, etc, to let the guard know that there was a motion and the guard would then choose to respond to it by manual PTZ or ignore it if something else is more important.

Hi,

Does this model have a auto tracking function? I am in need a of a reasonably priced outdoor PTZ that can automatically track subjects upon motion detection, capture images of the subject and store them in a NAS or similar.

From the aspect of video quality, think of KCM-8x11 as KCM-5611, but with extra capability to pan and tilt together with fast PTZ presets. While many manufacturers' PTZ design is somewhat slow (upon triggered PTZ preset, the camera would first run Pan and Tilt motors, when done, then run zoom motor, and when that done too, then do the auto focusing, sometimes taking more than 10 seconds, especially in low light), KCM-8x11 preset works instantly (all 4 motors of pan, tilt, zoom and focus run at the same time) and the intruder will be captured in a second. That is achieved by ACTi designed KCM-generation ISP that fully controls all the hardware of the camera.

To sum up, KCM-8x11 = low light quality of KCM-5611 + instant PTZ presets.

This camera only zooms, but in theory, you can trigger it to zoom based on a motion event that sends the URL command to zoom to the camera. So if it finds motion, it will zoom in to a preset amount but not sure how you get it zoom back. Maybe Ando would know how to do this better.

This camera only zooms, but in theory, you can trigger it to zoom based on a motion event that sends the URL command to zoom to the camera. So if it finds motion, it will zoom in to a preset amount but not sure how you get it zoom back. Maybe Ando would know how to do this better.

Are u sure it sends URL command ?

Yes, ACTi does that in all their cameras, it's one of the event actions you can take. I'm not home so I can't show you but if I remember when I get home, I'll show you the screen.