kurt323

How to connect an external chime to ACTI KCM-7111 IP camera?

I would like to connect a chime to KCM-7111 so that when there is a motion trigger I can hear a chime. Has anyone done this? Which additional equipment do I need? Who sells this stuff? Thanks in advance for any guidance... Kurt323

Here's the document that explains the use of Digital Output for alarm purposes.

http://www.acti.com/kb/detail.asp?KB_ID=KB20091230001

There are 2 solutions:

1. Use a device that is powered by 12V DC. This way, you can connect it to the camera without any relay in-between. The camera is able to provide 12V DC power to the alarm device directly when the event occurs. For example, a 12V buzzer. You can test it directly with 12V battery first. If it works fine, you can go ahead and connect it to KCM-7111 as shown in the document above.

2. Use a device that runs on 110-240V AC. In such case you need to place a relay between the camera and the alarm device, and have the external power supply for that device.

Thanks for the quick response. I like the 1st option better, because it sounds very easy. I don't need very loud alarm. All I need a nice chime that will alert me when someone triggers the motion detector. I will start searching for a chime (instead of a buzzer) that runs on 12v (and draws less than 100mA, I think) immediately.

I am having trouble finding the proper Relay. I understand the camera will supply only about 1v to the relay. Any thoughts in finding the proper relay?

I am having trouble finding the proper Relay. I understand the camera will supply only about 1v to the relay. Any thoughts in finding the proper relay?

Camera's digital output is DC12V, regardless of the devices you connect to it.

Solution 1:

Camera DO (DC12V) -> Alarm device (powered by DC12V)

Solution 2:

Camera DO (DC12V) -> Relay (DC12V for magnet, AC110-240V for external circuit) -> Alarm Device (powered by AC110-240V).

Thank you! You made my day! This sounds great. DO 12volt will work perfectly for me, because there are so many 12volt Chime devises out there. I can simply connect Chime's battery contacts (after taking the battery out of the Chime) to the camera's terminal block with a pair of cables. Would you just confirm this? I am being causious - I don't want to damage the camera.

Thank you! You made my day! This sounds great. DO 12volt will work perfectly for me, because there are so many 12volt Chime devises out there. I can simply connect Chime's battery contacts (after taking the battery out of the Chime) to the camera's terminal block with a pair of cables. Would you just confirm this? I am being causious - I don't want to damage the camera.

Yep, that's it! Go ahead!

Once you have done with the wiring, you would like to test if it is correct or not before configuring the Event panel of Web Configurator.

To validate the wiring, there are the buttons on live view page, just press it and see if you hear the chime.

DObuttons.JPG.fb33e3e48d4109f17738ab4d9ac1b83b.JPG