Cunningham

Need advice, want CCTV too many questions.

Newbie here, but I forced myself to join to clear some things up (hopefully).

I am in need of a good video survailence system, and I can't spend more than $1700.

What I need: at LEAST 10 cameras, web viewing, good definition (plate #'s from 15-20 feet), and all outdoor cameras.

I did a little browsing around on this forum, and learned more and more with every click, very cool. However, I hate to ask for this kind of help, but can some seasoned people build a system for me going off the above? I would prefer a standalone digital DVR system (I find it easiest to run coax and power cables to a dvr and hook up a display and ethernet), but I am open to whatever you guys suggest. I would also like to have this very system set up by next week, so the sooner the help the better. Please feel free to ask all the questions you like, I will be checking back very often today. Thanks, and Happy New Years!

I think your best bet might be to find a retailer with good support. There are lots of generous folks around here but a complete system design is a bit much as far as time is required.

I can understand that. I might just buy a cheap 4 or 8 channel kit to get by a few weeks, if it will help with time on a GOOD setup.

I can understand that. I might just buy a cheap 4 or 8 channel kit to get by a few weeks, if it will help with time on a GOOD setup.

I'd suggest going with a basic Dahua DVR and a few different cameras, I've been happy with CNB 24VF based cameras as well as Qvis Eye 34s. I'd avoid all the Night Owl, Swann, Zmodo crap as the interfaces are terrible, Dahua is just passable. On cameras you will need to spend at least $70 on a camera to get decent quality at night, I would suggest not even considering a camera without a DSP.

I must be an exception as far as the Zmodo "crap" goes. I eventually installed a Zmodo system on my home and I love it. Everything has worked without issues on other Zmodo systems that I have installed over the past couple of month's. The software is easy to understand and the network/remote setup's went without a problem. Not that I have said that, they'll probably all "crap" out tomorrow! The model that I installed on my home was a ZMD-DD-SAN4. I did upgrade one of the camera's for a better view during the day and night with another Zmodo camera. I'm not recommending the Zmodo systems, just that I haven't had any issues with them. I have installed Falco/Luxor and Avtech in the past and had many more issues with them than I have with the Zmodo. I think that it's just "luck" when it comes to different individual purchase/install situations. Some good, some bad. My tech support with the Dahua was terrible. See,,,,,, there you go.