Haro

Connecting to computer

Hey everyone, been browsing the forum a bit in search of an answer to my question.

Ill start by saying that I know pretty much nothing about security cameras.

Anyway I want to connect my home security cameras to my computer.

They are currently connected to a DVR which is then connected to both an old TV and my living room TV.

I dont want to be able to do anything sophisticated, just view them on my computer and have the ability to burn to a

dvd if needed.

I understand that there are two different kinds of cameras CCTV and IP.

So can anyone help me, do I need software, hardware or both?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks, Tom

If you have high speed internet (modem/router) at your home, you're good to go. If not, then that's a different issue, but can probably be resolved. A little more info about your internet and computer that you wish to view the camera's on.

Dennis

Thanks for the reply.

I have a wifi modem, and a standard desktop computer as well as a laptop, its a bit older, but I believe it should work.

What specifically do you need to know about the computer?

Also how would I physically connect the cameras and the computer?

Is this done via ethernet?

Do I need software to have the cameras display on my desktop?

If either one of the computers are "hard-wired" and/or have wifi and are XP and newer, you can access the DVR via your network. The software on the DVR really determines what windows version will work. Now, if you don't have the most recent updates (framework) to your windows operating system, you can have issues. I'm also, just taking for granted that the DVR is a newer model. You would have to run a network cable (cat5) from the DVR to your router, which will place the DVR on your internal network (LAN). Once you have the DVR accepted by the router (port forwarded) and the first time that you attempt to connect the computer to the DVR, you should get a request to install at least one ActiveX. Once you install the ActiveX (DVR Software), you will then be able to view your camera's. There are exceptions/variables to what I have just said, but generally the above is pretty much right.

Dennis

Ok, this makes sense. My laptop is connected via wifi and the desktop is hard wired.

I am actually going to be doing this for my uncle so I dont have specs and everything in front of me.

Looks like then, that you should be able to view your camera's at least on one computer, if not both. As long as the computer OS and DVR software are compatible. You will need to get into the owners manual for the DVR or the "NET" area of the DVR "MENU" and see what the Ports are that need to be forwarded in the router. Generally the HTML port is "port 80" and then you will have at least one other port, ie; 5050, 6050, 7050, as examples. You will have a HTTP port, command port, media port, mobile port (or something listed similar).

Dennis

Update:

I ran a cat5 cable from the router to the back of the DVR.

I was able to get the router to recognize the DVR. I however did not receive any pop up to install any active-x software.

I can view the DVR and like you said it was port 80. It was automatically set up to port 80 so I did not have to change any settings thus far.

I am not sure if I have to set up some sort of software or not. I am going to take a look at the book and see if I can figure out what to do from here.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Tom

When you say that you can "see" the DVR, do you mean that you can view the camera's? Or, do you only get a login screen? Or, you get through the login screen, but then cannot see the camera's?

Ok sorry, when I log in to my network (Verizion router)

I can see that the DVR is now in my list of devices.

I have yet to get a login screen, I am not 100% sure what ip and port to connect to via IE.

I am trying to connect to http://192.168.2.1/ this is what the dvr says the ip is.

When I put it into IE nothing seems to happen, however the first time I put it in an axtive x control popped up and I clicked enable.

Im a little lost from here.

EDIT:

Ok, I was able to get on to the login screen, but I dont have the default password any defaults that are usually common?

I have no book for the unit any more.

Thanks so far, Tom

I would guess that that ip is the router address, of which you would be asked for a username/password. You would eventually need the username/password for the router in order to open the proper ports for accessing the dvr remotely. The address for the dvr on the network would be different, ie; 192.168.2.5 or something similar. Maybe someone on the forum could come up with a manual for your dvr. They would need the make and model. Within most dvr software in the 'NET" menu and when activating DHCP, their should be shown 3 addresses.

IP Address: 192.168.2.X (X is the dvr address)

Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

Gateway : 192.168.2.1 (router address)

After activating DHCP and "saving"/rebooting, you would then have to switch from DHCP to STATIC to keep the address from changing.

You will have to get to this point before going farther.

Dennis

I used the IP: http://192.168.1.8/

and now have a log in screen.

It is asking for a login password (Default DVR password I suppose)

but I dont know it.

It is a H.264 4 CH Model DVR4204K.

I will switch it to static now.

Thanks

Ok I set it back to Static on the DVR unit.

Here is what I am faced with at this point.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b6dc801deabd89332d12b28ad2e0a51c.jpg

Default password might be "root" and username is left blank. Try this address for more help:

xxx.eyespyli.com

Change the xxx to www

Dennis

Edited by Guest

Just tried root, nothing.

I assume it would be in the owners manual if I can get one for this unit.

I tried the basics already with no luck.

What you listed are passwords. Did you try just leaving it blank? Also, I edited my prior post with a website that handles your type dvr. There are manuals listed for 8 and 16 channel dvr's which might be of help.

Dennis

Don't understand the IE9 issue. I have DVR's running on 3 laptops with IE9 and one with IE8. Only thing I had to do on them was modify the security settings so that the ActiveX could be installed and then set them back to default after that.

Yea, I was able to change the active x settings in order to get to that login screen.

Perhpas I will message that guy and see what he did to login beside changing the IE version.

Thanks, again Tom