samjade

Upgrade Questions - Enterprise System, Multiple Locations

Hi Everyone,

It's time to start looking into replacing our old Panasonic WJ-HD316s. I've got four buildings with two 16-channel Panasonics per building, and I'm looking to replace them. I have all analog cameras, but I'm certainly willing to start using IP in the future. Money is an issue though, so the existing analog fleet is here to stay for the time being.

I've been quoted Pelco DX series as a suitable replacement. I'd like to know your thoughts. Are there competitors I might consider? Any good or bad things I should know about the DX series?

Also, a technical question I can't seem to figure from the documentation: Currently, I'm able to do PTZ control and playback from the console with the Panasonic solution, but it looks like the DX series only supports the KBD300A, which only does control (not playback.) If that's the case, is playback only available through the web interface?

Thanks in advance.

-SJ

Hi Everyone,

It's time to start looking into replacing our old Panasonic WJ-HD316s. I've got four buildings with two 16-channel Panasonics per building, and I'm looking to replace them. I have all analog cameras, but I'm certainly willing to start using IP in the future. Money is an issue though, so the existing analog fleet is here to stay for the time being.

I've been quoted Pelco DX series as a suitable replacement. I'd like to know your thoughts. Are there competitors I might consider? Any good or bad things I should know about the DX series?

Also, a technical question I can't seem to figure from the documentation: Currently, I'm able to do PTZ control and playback from the console with the Panasonic solution, but it looks like the DX series only supports the KBD300A, which only does control (not playback.) If that's the case, is playback only available through the web interface?

Thanks in advance.

-SJ

Very simple

Avigilon IP encoders+Avigilon IP cameras

retrofit can be done in no time

just finish today school with 44 Analog cams

no "brainier"

Very simple

Avigilon IP encoders+Avigilon IP cameras

retrofit can be done in no time

just finish today school with 44 Analog cams

no "brainier"

+1

Avigilon video encoders are an excellent migration path. Excellent quality, affordable price, and only one license per four cameras. Then, start adding IP cameras as budget and requirements dictate.

Best,

Christopher

Wow, I didn't even know something like this existed. Many thanks to both of you for the info!

Do you happen to know if the Avigilon solution has a webserver feature for web-based live view and playback? I see that the software looks pretty robust, but one of the things I've always liked about the Panasonics is that I don't have any client setup to do other than a web shortcut. The other sticking point is that I have firewall rules to allow my local police departments in so they can use the web interface as well. It's a lot more difficult to require that they have software installed to make it happen.

Again, thanks so much for the info.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found the info I was looking for in this PDF.