lasher66

Best monitoring software for computer?

Hi,

Just wondering what your opinions were on the best monitoring software. I don't really care for the software that came with my qsee dvr. I seen one out there that had lots of cool options called "vitamin D". Think the paid version is a little pricey at 199 though. I like that it has its own motion detection built in to recognize people versus cars or objects, etc.

If you want inexpensive, it's hard to beat Blue Iris for $50. It's quite powerful and flexible, supports a ton of cameras (including Dahua), and is definitely the value leader under $200.

You can download a 15 day demo that works just like the full version except for the 15 day limit (resettable) and a watermark on the videos.

I want to add to this topic and seek some additional opinions. I have been using Vitamin D for about a year now and I honestly can't find better motion detection software for a low cost home surveillance system. I agree that even for home, $200 is a bit much (and if you point this out to them they will offer a discount) however, other than the web hosting features like what Blue Iris has, I can't find many shortcomings. Blue Iris is very cool but it's motion detection algorithm can't touch Vitamin D's. Now I have no doubt there are other industrial solutions such as Milestone that offer similar if not more functionality than Vitamin D, but I'm sure the cost is substantially higher considering their corporate clientele. Please note I've not dived into extensive research and am simply stating my opinion, likewise I'm not affiliated with Vitamin D what so ever, just looking for some honest opinions. If anyone has a suggestion for a similar priced software with motion detection that is on par with Vitamin D, I would love to hear your suggestion. I would also like to note that there are free solutions very similar to Blue Iris, notably ContaCam. It has all the functionality of Blue Iris, email notification, web server, a little trickier to set up but it's completely free. My only qualm with ContaCam is the motion detection. Vitamin D does a great job of distinguishing people from any other objects (most of the time) and this to me is invaluable. Although I would love a web browser, I can get this functionality from ContaCam while maintaining the motion detection functionality of Vitamin D. Thanks for your time!