neoitd

CCTV camera help. A few questions :)

Hi,

Found this forum and realize there are many friendly and many people with good understanding of CCTV system so I have few questions for you all

I have recently purchased a samsung SRD-440 DVR http://www.samsungcctv.com/product/product_view.asp?idx=6569 to replace my hybrid CCTV DVR installed by my local security system installer as I am very frustrated with the hybrid DVR interface which lags and quite not user friendly. However, upon installing the Samsung SRD-440, I have came to realize that my previous cameras and DVR are running on PAL format. So I am now looking for some branded cameras to replace my current system as I have in many instances my hybrid system has been performing terribly as well.

My current requirements/setup is:

1) 1 external box camera located outside my shop to monitor my shop entrance.

2) 1 Dome camera to monitor my cash register

3) 1 DOme camera to monitor the shop interior

4) 1 Dome camera to monitor my staff dorm entrance which is located above my shop.

I am now looking at samsung SCD-2010 to replace my current dome camera, would this be overkill? I know the answer would be that depending on what I need, so I am looking for a decent camera that can give me good view/ to be able to recognize faces within 10-20 feets. Also the SCD-2010 spec sheet list the camera with Pan and Tilt but it is not categorized under PTZ cameras category, so does it have any PTZ capabilities. I dont really need PTZ camera function but would consider buying one just for the fun of it but the other cameras would be fine with non-PTZ function.

As for the box camera, any recommendations? It would not be exposed to harsh weather condition, no direct sunlight and no exposure to rain. I am very very new to this and hope that I would get help from here.

Many thanks in advance

Is there any particular reason you need a box camera outside?

No not really, maybe ill just stick with a dome camera. Anyway, is there anyone else that is willing to help me out ? Have to make a decision pretty soon. Really appreciate it if you could read my post and give me some opinions.

Why I ask about the box camera is that after they are put in a weatherproof housing they are fairly big & unsightly. Armoured domes are more vandal proof & the only downside is the physical constraint on lens size. Usually 12mm is the max so they are not ideal for long range which I'm guessing wont worry you.

I would be putting two armour domes outside looking at the entrance from either direction. This would also capture any loiterers who are up to no good. One dome directly inside the entrance to capture good facial shots of everyone who enters. Then whatever you think is required inside the shop.

Get at least an 8 channel DVR because once you have a few cameras you WILL want more.

Good luck with the project

Hi. what make is your hybrid unit ??? you seem to be going backwards. dont buy more cameras just yet. which cameras do you have up now ??? the samsung you have listed are fixed lens and not that good.

if the images now look bad its because the samsung is a CIF unit (set at its best)

hi, actually ,I am more interested in the box camera you referred, why do you need a box camera?hahaa, there is a popular Retro box Camera nowadays. you need to assemble by yourself. Let's put aside the quality, itself is funny