quovadis

Network /Connection issues with a 4/8-ch Embedded DVR

Firstly thank you for looking at my post .... The DVR is fine and does everything I want without issue ...I have had it for approx 2 years with no problems ... but yesterday decided it was about time I set it up so that I could view the cameras remotely or if it triggers it sends me an email .......SO ... I got all the manuals and looked on line to see how the best ( and quickest way) to set this up ....bearing in mind I had set one up at work using a static address the day before ...easy I thought ......FIRST MISTAKE ....WRONG ::

So lets start from scratch as I have been on this for two days now and no luck...

Things I know :

1. cameras and DVR are ok

2 Internet is Ok and stable

3 Using laptops running Vista

4 Using Explorer 9

5 Internet is dynamic and not static via Virgin media /super hub

6 Camera software installed from Mini CD supplied

7 All scripts activex download settings correct

8 firewall on router off .

Stage two what I have done

hard wire the DVR to router ( cable new and all ok )

hard wired the laptop to router ( cable new and all ok )

Accessed DVR and the manual states to change settings from static ( to get true addresses ) to DHCP -SAVE- RESTART and note the numbers ...it then asks me to then change to static and then do the same and check the report again and see if it has changed. if it has change the setting to read the same.

I had 192.168.000.010 as IP

SUBNET mask 255.255.255.000

GATEWAY 192.168.001.001

DNS Server (SAME AS GATEWAY )

WEB PORT 00080

OTHER PORTS 09000

The manual then advises to view the cameras on the network , and not to go further ( as basically its a waste of time until this part is correct)

Accessed CMD and IPCONFIG/ALL and noted the default GATEWAY

being 192.168.0.1

Went to what is my IP and noted 62.253.145.### (hash is for security whilst posting here )

So far so good ...

Ok I now ping ( using explorer) 192.168.000.010.....(this is where the fun starts )

as soon as I do this explorer changes the 010 to 008?

4 packets sent 4 packets lost

If I ping usiing firefox I get 4 packets sent four received with no issues ?

If I do this several times ... I have managed to get explorer to work ( but not all the time ) .....when it does work it asks me to install activex netdvr0cx.cab ... I do this and all I see is like a faded background of leaves (or artwork) but no cameras ?

ok , Went into the router and looked at port forwarding and wrote a rule to allow port 80 to be open

tried again nothing ( or same artwork background) but no cameras

telephoned Virgin they took control of the computer checked all settings on computer and router and they say all ok

Gone back to DVR and then set it back to dhcp noted the settings and tried all this again ...no luck tried explorer ping no go ..try firefox ping ...all ok Go into router again check to see if it shows on the router and yes ..as

MAC Address 00:11;22;33;44;55

I set up a dns address and then set up the dvr to look at this , checked on laptop and only get the faded aretwork again , or nothing, or connection lost /timed out

So today (sunday) at a loss what to do next .....

Over to you guys now ....any ideas please of where to start ?

PS

I have just logged in wirelessly using explorer using 192.168.0.10 and I see only the faded background again , but no cameras (again) (the tab shows web applications manager ) Tried to ping but now changes to 006?

regards

Paul

192.168.0.10 and 192.168.1.1 are on different subnets, that will never work with mask 255.255.255.0 (and I am sure you have set up one of those numbers wrong).

If your router IP is 192.168.0.1 your DVR IP should be 192.168.0.10.

If your router IP is 192.168.1.1 your DVR IP should be 192.168.1.10.

" title="Applause" /> BRILLIANT ....... I had to read your short posting at least 10 times ...( i think I am a little dyslexic...so to me it looked exactly what you said ) what I did in the end was to read the figures out loud and then it hit me it was as you said 10.and NOT 01

..... so that was a major step forward and I was then able to PING ok ... But no picture......SO looked at Java ....and although installed was corrupt, so I de-installed and re-installed again . Java insisted that I had an updated version and was installed ok , but I continued and low and behold I was able to see the steaming tea cup when asking if Java was working ....( but still no pictures ) went back to the manual checked all the security settings for activex and scripting .....and THEN I SAW IT tucked away in the cornner .... you must add the address for the dvr as a trusted site and BANG ....Got the images ...from there set up a DNS account set the DVR to DHCP added the configurations and YES .....WE HAVE LIFT OFF !!!

Thanks again for your time and effort to help it was very much appreciated . Its been a steep learning curve, but I understand it a liitle better than before ... I need to focus on the subnet masks ans default gateways and which one to log into when using the lan over remote ip and vis versa ...any quick way to remenber these at all do you know ...some times people have words that help ie STARS ( Situations Tasks Actions and Results )

Kind regards

Paul

192.168.0.10 and 192.168.1.1 are on different subnets, that will never work with mask 255.255.255.0 (and I am sure you have set up one of those numbers wrong).

If your router IP is 192.168.0.1 your DVR IP should be 192.168.0.10.

If your router IP is 192.168.1.1 your DVR IP should be 192.168.1.10.

Hi need help again ...a few days later I lost the remote viewing so this weekend I sat down and set it up all over again ..... Got to view the cameras on the internal ip and in the afternoon got the external working ..... emailed the address to my friend who also confirmed it was working ...went out for a few hours , come home tried to log in nothing ??? cannot even see the dvr on the internal ip ? looked ta the router settings ,,, nothing has changed as far as I can see ......but NOTHING .....This is really getting to me WHAT IS GOING ON i dont understad what the issue could be ?

Any suggestions ? The DVR it self is working great !!! ?

You probably need to use a dynamic address service. You port forward your dvr addresses in your router and use either

http://www.noip.com/

http://dyn.com/dns/

Check and see if your dvr already has a dynamic service or two assigned in it. For instance, q-see offers it's own service. But you're losing remote viewing because your public IP address is changing every so often, so you need to use dynamic address service. At least, I'm guessing that's what's going on.

Also, this is the best site to help you understand it all. View everything as many times as you need. Sections of interest-

Edit- the vids are no longer available. A REAL shame as they were the best around. Oh well.

You probably need to use a dynamic address service. You port forward your dvr addresses in your router and use either

http://www.noip.com/

http://dyn.com/dns/

Check and see if your dvr already has a dynamic service or two assigned in it. For instance, q-see offers it's own service. But you're losing remote viewing because your public IP address is changing every so often, so you need to use dynamic address service. At least, I'm guessing that's what's going on.

Hi thanks for the info, Yes I am already doing this .... I set up the router and then the dvr under the static setups I then ping and loacte dvr , then go into explorer and open the dvr cameras ... I then change the DVR to dns and put in the dns address etc ..... This was all working this afternoon, and now tonight nothing ? I have checked the IP address of the router and DVR and they are the same as they were earlier ....BUT NO CAMERAS ??? Something must be changing but what ?

Hi, Yes I am already port 81 .... and I specify this in the address .... I have been trying to read around the problem and it would seem that despite having set up the port forwarding and DNS the router can still change its ip address ( public and local ) I now am not sure myself so any ideas greatfully appreciated ....When I go back into the router via cmd and config/all everything is the same ...when I go to the router direct ...same again ...yet something has changed the Ip of the camera is the same, so is the dns address so it must be the router somehow ?

regards

I'm not real good with this and when I got mine set, I left well enough alone. The only other thing I can think of is your modem. Is it a combo modem/router? If so, you'll need to port forward and bridge that as well- something I've never had to do but I've read many times had to be done. Best of luck. I know how frustrating getting it right can be.

Hi, yes I think it is a dual system ..... but I am not sure as to the bridging setup either ??

I think I need to repost to see who can help

thanks anyway

You might want to contact your ISP in reference to the "bridge" issue. I've come in on the end of this post so,,,,,,

Which IP are you referring to that is changing. If it is the network (LAN) IP, then you need to static that IP in the DVR setup. I would also set the network IP to something outside the range of network equipment. Sometimes I just use ".100". As an example: 192.168.0.100. If it's the remote (WAN) then, that 's another issue. Sorry,, if I'm coming in late.