scottl31

Recommendation for Custom Camera Setup?

Like I said, hit the IP forum and read. A good deal of the products they talk about there are reviewed on this members blog-

http://www.NetworkCameraCritic.com

Not only is that a great resource, looking through everything there brings into perspective what IP/MP is all about and helps to narrow what might fit your needs.

Are you saying that a so called IP camera does not record to a DVR? If it records to a NVR, I assume that means "Network Video Recorder", is that correct? Is it essentially the same thing?

An NVR does the same job for network IP cameras that a DVR does for analog cameras. It is a standalone box that records, displays, and otherwise manages network IP cameras. Nowadays, most of these are at least 720P hidefinition cameras unless you're looking at extremely low end IP stuff.

So when I am struggling to come up with a solution for my boss, how can I tell the difference between analog and digital systems or components? Shockwave was saying above that most of you guys don't recommend analog. My boss would like to stay the most current, so how can I tell the difference between analog and digital so I can avoid the analog, if that's the best option?

Most cheapo systems are analog. They generally use coaxial cables with a BNC video connector and a barrel 12v power connector. To confuse things a hair though, they can use Cat5 network wiring to connect the camera to the DVR by using video baluns, which have circuitry in them to properly carry the analog signal over the twisted pair wiring in Cat5 or Cat5E wiring. Baluns are basically adapters to convert the BNC and barrel connectors to RJ45 connectors (the normal 8 prong connectors for network wiring) and back again at the other end. Any system that talks about recording in "Full D1" or CIF is PROBABLY analog, but D1 is also used as a low end IP recording format. IP usually talks about VGA or SVGA resolution for their lower end formats though.

If you see a camera (not a DVR) that talks about their compression format, it's a network camera. DVRs for analog cameras use the same compression formats as network cameras but the compression happens in the DVR just before the video gets saved to HD. If a camera has just a BNC connector, it ISN'T a network camera. If a camera has just an RCA connector, it ISN'T a network camera If a cam has just an RJ45 connector then it IS a network camera. If it has an RJ45 and an RCA or BNC connector, it's most likely a network camera with analog out as well. Some few analog-only cameras have built-in baluns so you might find the occasional odd analog duck with both RJ45 and BNC/RCA but they're extremely rare.

If you go on the Axis site, for example, you'll click on a link for Network Cameras to go see their selection. Funny thing is though, they don't have any analog cameras. Same goes for ACTi. You just click on the link for bullet, dome, box, cube, or whatever camera there but they are ALL digital IP network cameras. Most of them are at least 720P hidef and some are much higher. 2 megapixel cams are 1080P hidef. 3mp and 5mp cams are even higher resolution. You'll just have to get more experience before you get an instinctive feel for when a camera is analog or network.

Megapixel video over BNC cables (HD-SDI) is another duck entirely. HD-SDI cams look like analog ducks but quack like hidef network cameras. I'd stick with network IP cameras because they're MUCH more common.

Thanks a lot Kawboy and shockwave.

I've been over at the IP/Mega forum. Actually think I'm slowly learning a few things. The amount of choices is just stifling.

I'm wondering if a good plan of attack is to pay attention to what gets talked about favorably over there and then maybe make a choice from those brands which makes the most sense for us cost-wise to start?

You've got it. Mixing and matching IP stuff is much more complicated than you'd think. Mix and match analog is a joke. Figuring out a budget first and then picking a one-manufacturer solution (preferably from one vendor) will save a lot of headaches. Hopefully the budget will allow at least a mid-range manufacturer. I hate spending money and time and having things not perform properly. That costs MORE time and money.

Zmodo has a new NVR system I set up a few months back. I'm more of an installer vs networker. This was not fun to set up. Cost me a 5hour learning curve, but 2hours of that was due to the customers router being a pos.

The picture is nice & sharp, but IP cams are to bulky for my likings.

I still prefer installing the good old analog Zmodos. Never have a problem (unless it is figuring out a custom run.)

Although I've installed about 20 Zmodo's in 2012, I must say I do have beef with the grey-colored residential units. After the last one I set-up, the have made the circuit board 1/2 the size, removed half the options.... heck they dont put an alarm out on those units anymore! (edit: they also removed the cooling fans from this unit!!!!) not one, but the commercial units have 2!

So, for now, yes I still recommend Zmodo $ for $, but I will only install the black commercial dvrs in the future, as they are still good quality.

GL OP

Zmodo has a new NVR system I set up a few months back. I'm more of an installer vs networker. This was not fun to set up. Cost me a 5hour learning curve, but 2hours of that was due to the customers router being a pos.

The picture is nice & sharp, but IP cams are to bulky for my likings.

I still prefer installing the good old analog Zmodos. Never have a problem (unless it is figuring out a custom run.)

Although I've installed about 20 Zmodo's in 2012, I must say I do have beef with the grey-colored residential units. After the last one I set-up, the have made the circuit board 1/2 the size, removed half the options.... heck they dont put an alarm out on those units anymore! (edit: they also removed the cooling fans from this unit!!!!) not one, but the commercial units have 2!

So, for now, yes I still recommend Zmodo $ for $, but I will only install the black commercial dvrs in the future, as they are still good quality.

GL OP

Thanks, and I'll add this to my info.

I'm still overwhelmed as to what to get. There's too much info and my boss starting to wonder when he if going to get something from me after all the time I've been looking into this.

Those brands are what you might consider for residential applications, not saying they wont work for you, but they are less of a commercial solution.

that's a polite way of saying "they're toys".

Some people on here really like the Q-See brand, particularly the ones made by a company called Dahua because of their good picture on an inexpensive camera. This brand may be less likely to be fully supported by the better software solutions.

+1 for dahua as a lower-cost option... the trick is finding a suitable reseller outside of china, as dahua require resellers to re-brand their equipment... so it will almost always have a different name on it.

where are you located?

Do you have to buy a thousand of them or something to get the Dahua?

nope, you just need to find the right brand names. they're re-sold outside of china under a variety of different labels by a wide range of vendors, some good, some not so trustworthy.

btw, since you're looking at ip... they do make some really excellent megapixel cameras, nvrs and hybrid dvrs, including a four-channel nvr with built-in four-channel poe switch: just plug in the cameras, and they auto-configure to the recorder.

nope, you just need to find the right brand names. they're re-sold outside of china under a variety of different labels by a wide range of vendors, some good, some not so trustworthy.

btw, since you're looking at ip... they do make some really excellent megapixel cameras, nvrs and hybrid dvrs, including a four-channel nvr with built-in four-channel poe switch: just plug in the cameras, and they auto-configure to the recorder.

This sounds great, but how do I go about finding these?

I've spent a couple weeks on this and my boss is wondering when he's going to get some info. I'm really stuck.

This sounds great, but how do I go about finding these?

I've spent a couple weeks on this and my boss is wondering when he's going to get some info. I'm really stuck.

To find Dahua look at the top thread of this subforum: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31620

Why dont you submit some of your intermediate findings to your boss and get him to help you drill down the choices.

Hi Guys, I'm back.

Well, after all that research, my boss decided to go not quite as expensive as I was looking into. He just wants a few cameras to do mostly live monitoring of a few areas of the office during the business day. Like being able to see who is ringing the door buzzer in the hallway from his desk, etc. We have a regular monitored (no cameras) security system for closed hours.

So I have something new for you to praise or tear apart.

I gave him all the best cameras you guys talked about, but he looked further and he likes these:

Vivotek FD8151V

Vivotek FD8166 (I guess not available yet)

Thanks a lot!

Scott

Vivotek FD8151V

Vivotek FD8166 (I guess not available yet)

Thanks a lot!

Scott

Good plan, atleast these are officially supported by plenty of the big brand NVR systems so you can expand as you wish