What IP cameras did you have in mind?

not sure, depends on what software i decide to go with. not all cameras are compatible with all software.

i know that the cameras i want to implement will have to have the following features:

-poe (no additional power, i have worked with some outdoor poe cameras that had a powerful heater in them and it required more power than poe could provide. i knew this before buying the camera and i was ok with it due to the location of the camera, poe wasnt a benefit to me for that site/camera)

-dome (maybe mini dome) (they are being installed in an area that has a drop ceiling, but some parts of the building only have 2-3 inches of space above the tiles)

-i'd like to keep it around $250 per camera, but i know that is a stretch

-720p would be nice

-no glitch/slow frames (i have seen $300 IP Cams look like garbage in the video recording software (live view, not recording, i know you can adjust the recording view quality/frame settings)

yeah, probably a tall order. the only thing i have in my favor is time, i dont need to do this tomorrow, there is a current solution in place, but i do know that going forward i want to move away from analog and upgrade to ip and unless a camera completely blows out and needs to be replaced, i am done spending money on analog cameras.

Check out ACTi's new indoor 720P domes, they are under $200 and the ACTi NVR 3.0 software is free and very good, comes with a free IOS app, full web browser interface and is best I've seen and you can run it on a very low end PC, I had mine running on an Atom processor Nettop without any problems with 6 1.3MP cameras.

Check out ACTi's new indoor 720P domes, they are under $200 and the ACTi NVR 3.0 software is free and very good, comes with a free IOS app, full web browser interface and is best I've seen and you can run it on a very low end PC, I had mine running on an Atom processor Nettop without any problems with 6 1.3MP cameras.

i will check it out, but not a fan of the full browser interface.

thanks.

thanks.

What do you want the browser to do? They have different permission levels, so you can control who has access to what. You can view multiple cameras at the same time in playback mode and scrub the timeline and all the cameras scan in unison to quicky find the event you are looking for, works really well.

I would also recomend Axis and Mobotix but will definately be out of the price range, both come with free CMS software and the cameras do the motion detection and recording.

thanks.

What do you want the browser to do? They have different permission levels, so you can control who has access to what. You can view multiple cameras at the same time in playback mode and scrub the timeline and all the cameras scan in unison to quicky find the event you are looking for, works really well.

I would also recomend Axis and Mobotix but will definately be out of the price range, both come with free CMS software and the cameras do the motion detection and recording.

are you saying it has a webserver to view the cameras or the entire program is located in the web?

i prefer a program that acts as a client to show cameras/manage the program. i like for the program to have a built in web server that can be used from a remote location to view the cameras OR install the client at the remote site to connect in and view the cameras, assuming the proper ports are opened in the firewall.

i prefer a program that acts as a client to show cameras/manage the program. i like for the program to have a built in web server that can be used from a remote location to view the cameras OR install the client at the remote site to connect in and view the cameras, assuming the proper ports are opened in the firewall.

Avigilon.com

[are you saying it has a webserver to view the cameras or the entire program is located in the web?

The ACTI NVR software comes in two pieces, the server which runs transparently on the PC in the background and they also provide client software that you can install on any PC to connect to the server. It also has a built in web server where you can access the server in the very same way the client software works, I see no difference between the two except one is running inside the browser, the other is a standalone program. And yes, it is running on Windows, so you have to open up the Windows firewall or turn it off and you have to port forward that PC on your router for access from the internets.

what brand IP camera recording software are you guys using?

i have used Exacq IP camera software, but that was for a large company that had $$$$ to spend on a system.

i am interested in seeing some of the lower priced software options/solutions.

i have used blue iris in the past, but i am not a fan of their interface. it could be that i am spoiled by Excaq (anyone who has used it will know what i am talking about).

thanks.

The Netvision provides a cost effective Hybrid NDVR software system. And we also support more than 20 brands of world famous IP cameras such as Hikvision, Dahua, AXIS etc.., ONVIF compatiable also. you can register on our website(www.netvisiondvr.com) and download software to have a test.

exacq or another windows based client would allow the user to minimize the camera/client GUI and use the PC as a normal PC (again, minimal use).

where are the online resellers of exacq? will they sell to end users?

thanks.

I think netcamcenter basic may work for you, user can use windows key + M to minimize all the cameras, and then use control center to restore the cameras.

You can get trial version from

http://www.webcamsoft.com/en/netcamctr.html