Firefighter

Looking to get into the cctv field

So, I don't know if this is the best place in the forum for this, if not mods please move.

I know in the past I discussed opening a retail bussiness for selling cctv equipment kind of like nelly's or other places.

I've been doing a lot of thinking regards to my career etc... I work Full time as a Firefighter. 24/48 shifts.

So I'm on shift for 24hrs, and I'm off for 48hrs. I have a very solid schedule. That won't change,

I also work part time (30hrs a week) on an ambulance. So, I'm looking to replace that 3-4 days a week part time job....

For example I work 100 hours this week, with thursday off.

So, I considered opening a cctv install bussiness. I did my proper research and was told by the Alarm Board for State of TN

that for ANY company to do any cctv, alarm, fire access control etc... they have to work for another company for 5 years.

5 Years of TN employment are required to start/open a bussiness in the alarm field including cctv, fire, access control etc.....

I thought that was slightly strict. But 100% Undrstandable.

So, Here is my question. After researching, and looking around, The only available positions are

"Heavy Experiance Required"

Of Course everyone wants experiance, but no one want to give it.

So, How do I go about getting into the field if no one is willing to teach/give experiance?

Thanks!

Please Note: I actually would prefer to work for a company for a few years so I know exactly what I'm doing.

So, how do I get into the field with the above issues

I think you've got the right mindset and a heck of a work ethic that surely someone would give you a chance to get a foot in. We're screaming to employ someone like you in Aus. Sounds Like u know a bit about cctv. Google boschsecurity in your region and there's online training regarding everything from cameras, network principles, dvrs. You can get certificates for your training and it will actually help with an understanding of how cctv works. From cameras, networking, dvrs, storage etc. Just be willing to run cables and fit off cameras for a bit. I reckon it's a good idea but 5 years is pretty tough. Enjoy the experience. Hope that helps.

Best of luck mate!

You may be surprised to see installers looking for help. Just be willing to spend your time crawling and fishing wires in awful places for low pay to start. You gotta 'crawl' before you walk. Are you a skinny guy? They'll put you on the tight squeeze gigs for sure! Call up your local installers and just ask if they're hiring. Our network administrator who services our office also does cctv installs. I could work for them I'm sure, but I'm 50 and one thing I've learned installing what I've done thus far- it's hard work and I break easy! I'm not really cut out for attics and crawl spaces anymore. Expand your search for installers and just ask. You may be surprised. Good luck.

I am 57 and I still crawl around in attics , although I pay for it the next day.

A good set of 'wire fishing' rods is essential. Also a well fitting bump cap to

stop you smacking your head on nails and joists all the time.

There are some excellent courses online for CCTV installers now google Tavcom Training.

Bump cap? Wimp. Wear a baseball cap with the bill in the proper forward direction. That way all of the joists, tree branches, gutters, etc will be complete surprises.

Bump cap? Wimp. Wear a baseball cap with the bill in the proper forward direction. That way all of the joists, tree branches, gutters, etc will be complete surprises.

Safety gear is for wimps eh? Well you just carry on without any safety gear, if you believe that makes you more of a man!

Personally I have no concerns about being a wimp if I'm a safe uninjured one.

Ahh Dr. Nuts, I figured that a Brit could appreciate dry self-deprecating humour combined with a very gentle empty ribbing. My mistake.

I've also been known to wear safety gear myself with no effect on my manhood. Well, with the possible exception of chainsaw pants. Those're quite warm. You see? Humour.