Has anyone found a test monitor that will PoE power an IP cam at the cam location for setup? We are sort of new to installing IP cams and haven't worked out a good procedure on the install. Right now we hang them and rough aim. Then when the switch goes in we can power up and focus/ re-aim. I want to shorten this process. Is there a Poe power adapter than can be made/ purchased? or is there a HH monitor that can do this as well?

Hi. you will need more than a monitor ..... IP need commands as we when setting up so portable POE with a notebook is best.

cam pluged in and notebook pluged in and ready to go.

210776_1.jpg

We just tested the razberi IT-5000 (http://www.razberi.net/products/accessories/it-5000/). It has some nice features but some pretty severe shortcomings:

• 1. First, the package contains a "razberi Utilities" disk that is unreadable (tried in 3 different computers).

2. The list of supported IP cameras contains some recognizable names, like Axis, Arecont and ACTi, but some real oddballs: autoIP, DIVA Protocol, e-vidence, Level One, OpenEye and Safety Vision while missing some very common cameras like Ganz and Mobotix.

3. The menus are difficult to navigate. Even the selection list of cameras is buried in only one of 3 camera menus and that's hidden if you have the keyboard popped up.

4. I have yet to get it to connect to any camera with ONVIF selected. That theoretically should work with the three camera brands we've tested that are not on razberi's list, since all three manufacturers swear their cameras are ONVIF-compliant.

5. On battery power for POE, it shuts off POE after a maximum of 60 seconds. Almost every camera we have tested won't even boot up in much less than that (and some take much longer). So by the time the camera should be ready to aim/focus, etc., it loses power and the installer has to start from scratch. This is apparently not a problem if you insert the IT-5000 into a POE line but the installer has to get that done first.

Supported IP cameras:

• ACTi
    Arecont Vision
    autoIP
    AXIS
    D-Link
    DVTel
    DynaColor
    Diva Protocol
    e-vidence
    GE
    IQinVision
    Level One
    ONVIF
    OpenEye
    Optelecom-NKF
    Panasonic
    Planet
    Safety Vision
    Sanyo
    Sony
    VivoTek

We are returning it after talking to a razberi tech rep. Next, we might try the ToteVision MD1001 in conjunction with a Veracity Pointsource pictured above by tomcctv (http://www.totevision.com/catalog/lcd-monitors/mobile-devices). The main issues with laptops and the like are their weight and bulkiness and their fragility. Have fun standing on top of a ladder trying to juggle a laptop or notebook and the camera while holding on with ???

Survtech....

FYI that Razberi unit is OEM'd and I can't for the life of me remember who the manufacture is.

Jomadav...

99% of the cameras we install have remote zoom/focus which saves a tremendous amount of install time. When we have to focus manual cameras normally we use 2 guys with 2-way radios to focus them or a laptop and wireless link.

I will be ordering a Microsoft Surface PRO or Sony Tablet PC for installs.

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-8-pro/home

I've used a Veracity Pinpoint, about $60. It takes the Ethernet with PoE on location and splits it so you can attached a laptop and the camera at the same time from the one connection and then connect to the camera to aim & focus it.

buellwinkle. I like the idea of the Pinpoint (looked at it on Amazon). Is it that straight forward? We have laptops. Can I just take an IP cam that is powered up and use a Pinpoint to split it? or do I need software / other parts?. Thanks for the tip.

No software is needed just plug your laptop in and access the web browser of the camera.

FYI I have like 3 of these which I never use because I find them to be to inefficient. 2 guys with a radio is much faster.

Good idea to have a representative verify that the cams actually are looking at what they want monitored. Beats redoing it for free when the boss doesn't like it.

Survtech....

FYI that Razberi unit is OEM'd and I can't for the life of me remember who the manufacture is.

Jomadav...

99% of the cameras we install have remote zoom/focus which saves a tremendous amount of install time. When we have to focus manual cameras normally we use 2 guys with 2-way radios to focus them or a laptop and wireless link.

I will be ordering a Microsoft Surface PRO or Sony Tablet PC for installs.

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-8-pro/home

thewireguys,

It is OEM'd from Dynacolor - DynaTester DT-1. Also available as the Axis T8414 and the Siqura Multifunction Monitor Handheld Camera Setup Monitor, although the Axis T8414's firmware is crippled; limited to just Axis cameras (the Siqura is probably similarly crippled). There might be other brands OEM'd too.

Also, we haven't found remote zoom/focus to be necessarily a good thing. Since all remote zoom/focus cameras start out fully wide, it is impossible to get critical aim proper. We found we had to aim, zoom/focus, them aim again at least twice to get the FOV's we want on critical scenes like table games and the faces of slot machines. Our aim tolerance can be as little as +/- 2" to 3" for many of our applications.

One caveat on the Dynacolor / razberi: it is apparently not capable of accessing the camera's menus so with remote aim/focus cameras, one would still need a computer hooked up somewhere in the chain, making the tool somewhat useless in that case.

In its favor, it can digitally zoom MP images so an installer could use it in conjunction with manual lenses, assuming it can obtain video from the camera. It did show video from the Axis P3364 and P3384 test cameras, just not any other tested brands (Ganz, IndigoVision and Dallmeier).

Survtech.... You have some very unique needs in your line of work. Our only issue we have had so far is vibration knocking a camera out of focus other than that customers have be very happy with remote zoom/focus cameras

We had issues with the Axis cameras zooming all of the way out after disconnecting and reconnecting them to the network/POE and after reboot but that may have been an incompatibility with the VMS or something else.

After a team of Axis and VMS mfg. techs made some changes, the problem seemed to disappear but it does make me extremely leery of power zoom/focus cameras.

OK. not to get into / go down the trail of camera specifics........I generally do my own camera work - no 2nd guy usually. I have done the remote viewing and used my phone before to get it done - but you don't always have a good signal/ DL speed. So, on the $60.00 deal I would be willing to give it a try. I assume it needs to be already powered by PoE for it to work? Or can it pull power from the laptop?

On the customer approval/ signature note : I have them verify all shots and labels prior to final signature. I standardize it on the jobs I run and try to encourage others in the shop to make it a common practice. It eliminates confusion later and justifies trip charges on relocating or re aiming cams. Most of the time the end user is appreciative that you take the time to be thorough.

Jomadav,

I have checked and haven't found any computers, laptop, notebook or otherwise, capable of providing POE from their Ethernet ports. You have to provide camera power in some other manner, either from a POE switch or inserter, the Veracity Pointsource or, if the camera can accept it, an external power source.

The other option that I have used is a wireless network. Most customers don't have a network that can handle the video or don't have on at all so I normally have a Ruckus AP on me that I use for our own network.

I also agree the Veracity Pointsource is very useful tool.

I use PoE injectors on other longer stuff. I suppose I could use one for this with a cord. Issue being if no IP info or switch locations are identified at the time of install, I/ we have to work around it. SO, if I look at this correctly, a IFS PoE injector and the PointSource at the camera with a laptop should skin the cat. No?

Side note....this is alot of screwing around to provide power. Can't a guy find the PoE standard and make a RJ45 adapter that provides power on the correct pair? - I know, alot of variables...just seems like it should be that easy.

OK, forgive me. When I said Point Source I meant PinPoint. Both Veracity. Difference being PointSource provides it's own power and PinPoint needs to be powered. I miss spoke. Same idea though?

I think your right. Ill make some calls in the morning and see what is local here first. Thanks for all the help. I think I have enough now to go on. I appreciate it.

Side note....this is alot of screwing around to provide power. Can't a guy find the PoE standard and make a RJ45 adapter that provides power on the correct pair? - I know, alot of variables...just seems like it should be that easy.

Yeah, it's relatively easy if you swing that way, but time-consuming, and there's a tradeoff between inexpensive and compact, plus you'd have to build the thing, so there's some time value there as well.

The problem is providing 48Vdc at 15W in a field portable package. You'd either need a 48Vdc power supply that ran off of a small 6V or 12V battery, like a UPS or motorcycle battery, or a compact 48Vdc rechargeable battery pack and charger, which tend to be expensive.

If you didn't mind big and heavy, 4 x 12V sealed lead-acid batteries would be cheap and easy.

Unless you're doing it for the fun of it (which is a perfectly good reason), you might as well buy the $200 Pointsource.

I saw this a while back, it sounds like what you're looking for:

http://www.iomnis.com/products/focus-tool

That is exactly what I am talking about - nice score Abzs !

Now, just one problem ,

PN # 195758

DS1F01 - PORTABLE CAMERA FOCUS TOOL

$1767.55

Exactly what I want, exactly what I won't pay. That stinks. I'll keep looking around.