Al Drake

Q-See QT518 and MP cameras

Does this DVR have the capability of using MP cameras and IP cameras? I am trying to carefully select something that will give good results. So far I am not happy with the Q-See line of cameras and don't mind spending a little more for private home applications. I don't see anything in the user manual saying there are any limitations and still don't know the complete difference between a DVR and NVR.

Thanks for any replies.

Al.

A DVR works with and records only analog cameras. It's called "digital" because it digitizes the analog footage and saves it to HD. An NVR works only with network (IP) cameras (or possibly analog cameras hooked to an IP encoder that makes them act like network cams to the NVR). You need a hybrid to use both analog and network cameras in the same system. Your QSee doesn't support megapixel cameras of any kind. When you see "network", "digital", h.264, etc mentioned with that DVR it refers to what it does with the digitized analog signal that it gets from the analog D1 resolution cameras. Megapixel network cameras capture much more detail than a D1 analog system.

A DVR works with and records only analog cameras. It's called "digital" because it digitizes the analog footage and saves it to HD. An NVR works only with network (IP) cameras (or possibly analog cameras hooked to an IP encoder that makes them act like network cams to the NVR). You need a hybrid to use both analog and network cameras in the same system. Your QSee doesn't support megapixel cameras of any kind. When you see "network", "digital", h.264, etc mentioned with that DVR it refers to what it does with the digitized analog signal that it gets from the analog D1 resolution cameras. Megapixel network cameras capture much more detail than a D1 analog system.

Great explanation and I thank you very much. For me the D1 is all I need and that's good in a way because I know I won't be ordering any of those over the top cameras that I really don't need.

Now if I can find some of the best that I can use I will be happy. I am still trying to get the mm factor into my head and translate that to what I want to view in different spots. I see some awfully cheap cameras out there is scares me to even think of wasting time and money now that I got a taste of the one I will be sending back. The QD6504B I found out today even gets washed out in the sun so that I total junk. I was thinking of this one:

http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/prhirevaspli.html

But I did order this:

Q1C1 700TV Lines High Resolution camera 84IR Sony Effio 5-50mm Vari-Focal Lens license Plate camera

I am looking for one that I can adjust remotely from the location of the DVR that is not too big. I don't think I can install large domes.

Have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Al

Al

As you stated, I think maybe you need to searching some cameras which built-in true Day and night ICR , OSD and RS-485 protocol which allow you remote function(i.e. Zoom, slow shutter...) via DVR. As well as, equipped Vari-focal Auto-Iris lens which will gaining better picture.

Al

As you stated, I think maybe you need to searching some cameras which built-in true Day and night ICR , OSD and RS-485 protocol which allow you remote function(i.e. Zoom, slow shutter...) via DVR. As well as, equipped Vari-focal Auto-Iris lens which will gaining better picture.

Thanks for your suggestions. Do you have anything in mind that I could select from?

So far my first Q-See is going back as soon as the support guy gets done with me and sees it is defective.

Today my newest camera arrived. Maybe you could give me your opinion on this selection.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074AMXOU/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Thanks.

Al.

In analog you'd probably want something in a PT or preferably PTZ to be able to adjust it from the DVR. PTZs are the ultimate adjust on the fly cams. I've never had a need that seemed to justify the cost for my applications so I've never bought any or really researched them. I'm interested in your experiences with the LPR cam you got. It's got a good zoom on it which is important. Everything else it says doesn't really mean a thing until you try it out.

In analog you'd probably want something in a PT or preferably PTZ to be able to adjust it from the DVR. PTZs are the ultimate adjust on the fly cams. I've never had a need that seemed to justify the cost for my applications so I've never bought any or really researched them. I'm interested in your experiences with the LPR cam you got. It's got a good zoom on it which is important. Everything else it says doesn't really mean a thing until you try it out.

I just installed it tonight and I can say it's a lot better than that QD6504B. I know now for sure I will never buy another Q-See camera again. I had to jump through hoops to get support to give me an RMA and was told the warrantee would be void it the camera was "exposed to the elements"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"If the camera is in direct contact with elements this would be a good reason. The cameras are weatherproof which means they can be outside, but need to be under and eve or simply not in contact with the elements. If rain or moisture gets on the camera this will cause the fogging you are describing.

Is the camera behind any glass or inside any enclosure? The second image looks like it is behind something.

Unfortunately if the camera is in direct contact with the elements the RMA dept will be able to determine this and the camera will not be covered under warranty.

If the camera is housed or has not been in contact with elements, then we can RMA the camera. Just follow the steps below.

Please follow the steps in the link below to complete the RMA form.

http://qsee.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/104653/1356656376/redirect/1/filename/RMA_Procedure.pdf

If you need further assistance with setting up your system, please reply to the email of what sections on the documentation you need help on and how I can further assistance you.

This incident will self-close to solved within 3 business days, however, you can reply to the email to reopen your incident.

Be sure to check our support site at http://www.q-see.com/support for updates about your DVR.

Thank you for contacting Q-see Support.

Brendon Welch"

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now I have to wait to see what their determination is before I find out if I get squat for a defective device. If I had purchased anything from Amazon it would already been in the return mail no questions asked.

I’ll have time to evaluate this camera the first time I see daylight on Sunday but I am optimistic. It already looks fine right out of the box at factory settings.

The haze on the Q-See is an indication of its defects.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now I have to wait to see what thier determination is before I find out if I get squat for a defective device. If I had purchased anything from Amazon it would already been in the return mail no questions asked.

I'l have time to evaluate this camera the first time I see daylight on Sunday but I am optimistic. It already looks fine right out of the box at factory settings.

The haze on the Q-See is an indication of it's defects.

Dear Al,

Sorry for late reply you. And it is bad to hear you get bad service. Actually, they are ask China factory made all line of products. RMA for China factory always is pain of ass to every one who purchased from there.

Lets leave it aside, as you stated you are happy new one camera but how it is for capture License Plate which you posted in fiest thread.

Would you mind sharing result if possible.

Cheers,

Dear Al,

Sorry for late reply you. And it is bad to hear you get bad service. Actually, they are ask China factory made all line of products. RMA for China factory always is pain of ass to every one who purchased from there.

Lets leave it aside, as you stated you are happy new one camera but how it is for capture License Plate which you posted in fiest thread.

Would you mind sharing result if possible.

Cheers,

Hello Joseph and thank you for your reply. I do like this HD-IR9884VF-G-0550 5=50mm. (Q1C1 700TV Lines High Resolution camera 84IR Sony Effio 5-50mm Vari-Focal Lens license Plate camera) so far it's the best camera I have. I am looking at my monitor now and it's very bright and almost looks like daylight.(4AM here) I have two other cameras mounted in the same direction but show just about nothing as it's aimed down the street. I can see up to ten houses until the street curves off. I haven't had time to do anything in the line of really testing it. Maybe that will come today as I will be staying home waiting for that big storm to hit New England later in the day. I will post back when I have something to add. It's operating at the factory settings but I can say the cars all have plates illuminated beyond recognition and the camera is almost wasted out by the headlights so there must be some settings I need to apply before this works as advertised.

I wish there was a way to extend these OSD controls or move them to the location of the DVR. I now have all my cameras mounted just outside windows to I can easily retrieve them for adjustments.

Regards.

Al.

same as you, i bought this Q1C1 license plate camera as well

http://q1c1.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=68_70&product_id=52

at initial time, i wasn't good to capture the plate numbers. i contacted their customer service, now after i zoom the lens in, and turned on the HLC function. the camera works very well. read literally all license plates passed by.

i think the trick for this camera is the night vision, you need adjust it. day time is just plug and play.