AGM

How to extend a CAT 5 cable?

Good day!

I am quite new to CCTV but i already installed 3 camera at home using RG59 w/ power cable with the distance of 90, 85, 72 meters. my problem is that i want to add another camera but the distance is 320 meters. i search some in the internet and they said CAT 5 cable is good for long distance but my problem is there is no 320 meters for sale only 300 meters is the maximum available. How can i extend the CAT 5 cable? or what is better to extend to reach the 320 meters? the cat 5 or RG59? What should i use?

Thank you and more power.

Your not going IP cameras so you don't need the cat 5 to stay twisted the entire length. Just splice a new piece to

the end of the old and make sure you use the proper baluns.

if i splice the wire will that affect the video feed? or should i use a CAT5 RJ45 Network Cable Extender Plug Coupler Joiner? which is better? Thanks

it shouldn't be a problem, if your running an IP camera or a computer using ethernet, than you want the cat5 to remain

twisted the entire length, but just video shouldn't be an issue. Luckily, if the image is not up to par, you can go back

to the splice and connect two cat 5 jacks on each end of the wire and connect them with a patch cable and see if it helps. If the image is perfect by just splicing it as I mentioned, than call it a day, go home, kiss your wife and kids and

enjoy life.

Good day sir!

i just measure the length of the site i wish to install the CCTV camera and it was not 320 meters it reach almost 500 meters. what should i do? do i need to buy 2 roll of CAT 5 cable and splice them or should i use RJ45 Network Cable Extender Plug Coupler Joiner to extend it. any suggestion/recommendations.

Thank you.

wow, the n00bs abound. so much bad advice here.

first of all, the spec limit for ethernet is *100m* or *328 ft*, not 300m. it's the same whether you use cat5e or cat6. a switch will not help at that distance - you'd need at least five of them, one every 100m. *if* you're using ip cameras. the limitation is for *ethernet only*. it's not a limitation of the *cable*, it's a limitation to the design of *ethernet signals* (we used to run token-ring networks on cat3 to 150m+).

second, if you're talking about analog video, then yes, you can simply twist wires together to splice. or you can terminate the runs in keystone jacks and use a short patch cable. or terminate them in rj45 plugs and use a coupler. or put a plug on one end and a keystone on the other. it really doesn't matter. just make sure you use only *one pair* for video.

third, at a distance of 500m, you need to use active baluns at both ends.

fourth, do not even attempt to power the cameras over that wire; at that distance, it *will* fail. you need to find a way to power the camera locally.

It must be me, cause I read that he already used rg59 for some cameras and is running cat5 for this long run. He never mentioned IP or ethernet. So, who gave him bad advise? I told him 2x that he could just splice the wire if he's not

using it for ethernet.

It must be me, cause I read that he already used rg59 for some cameras and is running cat5 for this long run. He never mentioned IP or ethernet. So, who gave him bad advise?

everybody else?