tdenson

RS485 cabling problem

I have an interesting problem running the wiring for a PTZ CCTV camera back to the (Swann) DVR. I have to run from point A to point C via point B. For various physical site issues I can only use wiring that is already in place. I have already sorted the composite video and power issues but need to sort the RS485 for the PTZ. A to B is about 20 metres and I have available a CAT5 and VGA cable. I would prefer not to use the CAT5 if I can avoid it (as I have other potential uses for it) although I believe it would be straightforward over CAT5 as it is twisted pair. My question is whether VGA uses twisted pair (I suspect it doesn't) and if not could I run RS485 for 20 metres over it. Regarding point B to C it is about 60 metres and I have available a CAT5 and a telephone wire. Again I would prefer to save the CAT5 if possible, but my understanding is that I would be fine with the (twisted pair) telephone cable. Is this correct ?

I have used VGA cable for RS-485 before and I did it for nearly 100 feet. The 485 protocol is much more tolerant than ethernet, so I would not really be concerned with that type of run.