miffed

Any good???

Hi

I'm looking to prevent ongoing vandalism to my car, and wish to put up a 2 camera system to watch over it.

I have no real idea about cctv systems, and to be honest I'm finding it kind of confusing.

I have read some blurb and come up with the following items, if anyone could advise if these are any good, and if they are good value or not:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/650TVL-HD-Effio%252dE-DSP-OSD-Menu-Line-Control-Outdoor-Dome-Camera.html

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/4CH-Realtime-D1-Record-H.264-Network-Standalone-DVR-Mobile-Phone-View.html

Also any advice on the cabling required would be of great help

Btw, the car is around 20 ft from the house behind a 6 ft high wall. Im planning to mount 1 of the cameras on a pole (actually a 6 ft long flat plate of sturdy steel I already have) attached to the wall, with the other mounted on my house watching that camera. I also have a security light I was going to put on the pole and was wondering if I may get some issues from that being in such close proximity to the camera?

Thanks

...also, can I use any SATA HDD or would I need one specific for a DVR?

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much apreciated

Thanks

As long as the security light is behind the camera it will actually improve your night vision. At 20', almost any camera will work. If you want better resolution and your dvr is as good, then you might want to go with a 600 or 720 one. If you want HD, then you'll have to go with IP.

You should use a hard-drive that is DVR specific. Google Western Digital for "green" drive. They run at 5400 instead of 7200 and are designed for continuous streaming. Computer hard-drive's are not. They are designed for hit and miss access. A computer hard-drive won't last anytime in a dvr and a dvr hard-drive won't be as fast as the correct one for a computer. Now that I've given you my opinion, there are probably another dozen or so. LOL

Dennis

Computer hard-drive's are not. They are designed for hit and miss access. A computer hard-drive won't last anytime in a dvr and a dvr hard-drive won't be as fast as the correct one for a computer

standard drive have been used for 20 years or more.......why dont they last ???

Green drives are a problem for most standalone units

This is just from from DVR manufacturer:

There aren't too many actual requirements for a hard drive to work, however for the absolute best results, please follow our recommendations.

Recommendations:

Choose a hard drive that spins at 5400RPMS because these hard drives use less power and also produce less heat.

Choose a hard drive that is rated as industrial/surveillance grade because a standard, PC grade hard drive will fail quickly in a DVR system.

Use a hard drive with 16MB of cache or more.

There are two hard drives that meet all of the requirements and recommendations and they are the Western Digital AV-GP line of hard drives and the Seagate Pipeline line of hard drives.

Warnings:

Stay away from using Western Digital Caviar Black hard drives. They have higher power requirements and create much more heat.

Do not use a Solid State drive (SSD) in the DVR. The constant writing of the drive will wear the drive out much faster than a traditional hard drive.

When I get time, I can post more of pretty much the same from other DVR company's. You can also check Western Digitals website for more on this issue. They are very specific.