trkmec

Advice pre-packaged system

Hello,

I am new to the site, i have serched and have a basic understanding of a little.

the first thing is i understand the pre packaged systems are low end and junk

or next to it. second id you get what you pay for. how ever i need something

quick.

over the last few weeks we have found our gate open ,( we have a older dog and

do not want him to be set free ) car doors opened up and left open and the sheds

opened stuff in the back yard has been moved around. now to the best of my

knowlege none lawn treasures are missing ,yet.

the gate is locked , the cars are locked we just had a baby money is very tight.

i need to deter my unwanted visitors. so i need it quick as i am sure they will

return low end as cash it tight .

my best hope is to buy the best junk system i can and maybe slowly upgrade

over time . If i where to go to costco,new egg or a place like that

what do i want , what can you recomend

thank you for your time

cameras will not *stop* prowlers, and only *may* deter them. a better deterrent is to add some motion lighting so the bright lights coming on makes it hard for them to hide. if there's nothing else around at night to trigger falses, you could even rig an alarm siren to the light as a further deterrent.

i am sorry, i was going to include we do have motion sensor lights and i just aimed on towards my

neighbors entertainment room so he could let me know if it turns on. i dont have much i can do

with the parking area . I also think i might have a idea of who at least one of my visitors is

but if i could capture the image it would help.

Cheap-

http://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-PKD-DK4216-500GB-Internet-Accessible-4-Channel/dp/B005FM8UL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361217560&sr=8-1&keywords=zmodo

Better and room for growth-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881192231

Slapping anything up quick will give you a look, but it may not be able to ID anyone- in fact it almost certainly won't. Provide exterior light and it will help get a better picture. For a quick install, aim your cameras at points of entry specifically and provide light right there. A good tighter shot on one point of entry is better than a big wide shot of a whole area. So get tight shots of entry points, and maybe one or two wider shots of larger areas. The wider shots will grab action longer. The tighter shots on entry points will give you a better chance of positve ID. Good luck to you.

Cheap-

http://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-PKD-DK4216-500GB-Internet-Accessible-4-Channel/dp/B005FM8UL4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361217560&sr=8-1&keywords=zmodo

Better and room for growth-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881192231

Slapping anything up quick will give you a look, but it may not be able to ID anyone- in fact it almost certainly won't. Provide exterior light and it will help get a better picture. For a quick install, aim your cameras at points of entry specifically and provide light right there. A good tighter shot on one point of entry is better than a big wide shot of a whole area. So get tight shots of entry points, and maybe one or two wider shots of larger areas. The wider shots will grab action longer. The tighter shots on entry points will give you a better chance of positve ID. Good luck to you.

so you feel for a bottom of the line system Q-See would be the one to go with?

what else should i look for in a out of the box system?

thank you for your help

I've not used that system or cameras but I'm sure it could work for you. I would normally suggest more thought and planning and piecing a system together. But you want a boxed system quickly and easy to set up. This will do fine for starters. If you get into it more, than upgrade along the way. If you catch your intruder, it was worth the price of admission. Just intall the cameras wisely in good locations and try to provide extra light at night time. It won't be superior viewing, but you'll be way better off seeing and recording what's going on out there than being blind to it. Now go forth and protect your family.

I've not used that product myself either, but I think for your purposes it will work good. It may not be a bad idea since you are trying to deter and not necessarily catch them in the act to put a sign on fence warning video recording on premise, and maybe even a security company yard sign. I know, it may not always deter, but if its a group of neighborhood kids it may make them think twice about coming in.

When you install the system, Try to put them in a place you will get a good shot, and don't mount them too low, you don't want to make it easy for them to be vandalised or destroyed.

I do a lot of work in some of the rougher neighborhoods in the City of Philadelphia, so I have put in systems for people in similar situations. If you need any help/advice I'd be more then happy to try.

Goodluck!

Rick Watson