andresdamas

NEW PROJECT NVR VS HDCCTV

Ok my friends here is the situation:

I have a customer who own a parking lot for trucks, he need to install 13 cameras 2 MP around. some cable will be ran around 1200 feet long distance, I know HD SDI can run no longer than 500 feet without extender for data coaxial, and I know ethernet CAT5 will be perfect for this job.

My problem is: Customer do not want to pay for vivotek and axis or whatever other big brand for 2 MP which goes from 400 to 700 dollar cameras, also me as technician I do not want to deal with IP, ROUTER, COMPUTER, MICROSOFT VERSION PLATFORM, AND POE SWITCH

One of the benefit that I see in HD SDI solution based in my experience is the plug and play option, and easy to trouble shoot, with out dealing with ip and network issues. Some of the system like geovision or other NVR say that they are PLUG AND PLAY but it isnt true, HD is true Plug and play

Customer DO NOT want to upgrade the system to 3 or 4 MP cameras in the future so the benefit for IP wont apply in this situation

So should I go for HD SDI with extenders every 500 feet even if they are expensive? i am thinking right or wrong?

I know a lot guys here are NVR lovers, but I Do not want to be dealing with service call customer saying " hey cameras are blinking" or "one camera disappear and after one hour came back", or " windows was doing an UPDATE and reboot the system what should I do?"

any feedback? any help from you guys will be appreciated!!!

Thank you

I know a lot guys here are NVR lovers, but I Do not want to be dealing with service call customer saying " hey cameras are blinking" or "one camera disappear and after one hour came back", or " windows was doing an UPDATE and reboot the system what should I do?"

any feedback? any help from you guys will be appreciated!!!

Thank you

You must of been using some rubbish in the past.

If your customer thinks axis is too expensive then wait till he sees the price for 13 HD SDI and recorder plus extenders.

Also explain to your customer 3 or 5mp camera for this type of install will be much better and could reduce to amount of cameras.

But since there are no other options you like I guess your stuck with HD SDI

I install HD IP Cameras and NVRs and the quality and ease of install out way anything analogue systems have to offer.

I've also seen a demonstration of the half way house solution of HD SDI. The only advantages I see is that you can replace an old analogue system and use the existing co-ax to install HD cameras but only up to around 2MP.

I have just completed installing 28 x 4MP cameras around a site of the size you mention. We had to put 5 cameras on poles around the perimeter of the premises and the rest were placed in and around buildings on the site. For the cameras on the poles, we had to run fibre optic cabling as it was much too far for Cat 5e/6. Other buildings around the site were linked back to the main data cab also with fibre for the other cameras.

I think that the HD SDI solution will soon disappear. It is only been created to use existing co-ax infrastructure, but as IP cameras & NVRs evolve, it will soon look as redundant as analogue now is.

So my advise is:

1) Learn some networking skills. Go on a week's course. It's a lot easier than you think and IP is here and IP will be everything in the future - not only CCTV! Don't get left behind.

2) You say you don't want customers calling you up complaining things are not working. Well when you get your networking skills, you will be able to set up the cameras/NVR/PoE Switches so you can control everything remotely from the comfort of your office - viewing the cameras, resetting them, altering the focus on them and also any of the settings. Also the NVR will email/text you with faults & camera failures, probably before your customer has even noticed! Remember IP cameras are computers in themselves, not the dumb devices analogue cameras were. In all honesty, we get a lot less call outs to the IP cams/NVRs than we did with the old analogue systems we used to install.

3) Cat 5/6 is far easier to install than co-ax. Also it supplies the power and control - so no extra cables! Don't be afraid of installing fibre optic cable. It's cheaper than you think and terminating it is a breeze with a fusion splicer (which you can hire for a few hundred quid/dollars/euros). Fibre can go for miles!

4) Advise your customer not be a cheap skate. He wants his site to be secure, but doesn't want to pay much for it. Well more fool him! Put cheap cameras in and reap the disappointment when some incident occurs.

Hope this helps.

I install HD IP Cameras and NVRs and the quality and ease of install out way anything analogue systems have to offer.

I've also seen a demonstration of the half way house solution of HD SDI. The only advantages I see is that you can replace an old analogue system and use the existing co-ax to install HD cameras but only up to around 2MP.

I have just completed installing 28 x 4MP cameras around a site of the size you mention. We had to put 5 cameras on poles around the perimeter of the premises and the rest were placed in and around buildings on the site. For the cameras on the poles, we had to run fibre optic cabling as it was much too far for Cat 5e/6. Other buildings around the site were linked back to the main data cab also with fibre for the other cameras.

I think that the HD SDI solution will soon disappear. It is only been created to use existing co-ax infrastructure, but as IP cameras & NVRs evolve, it will soon look as redundant as analogue now is.

So my advise is:

1) Learn some networking skills. Go on a week's course. It's a lot easier than you think and IP is here and IP will be everything in the future - not only CCTV! Don't get left behind.

2) You say you don't want customers calling you up complaining things are not working. Well when you get your networking skills, you will be able to set up the cameras/NVR/PoE Switches so you can control everything remotely from the comfort of your office - viewing the cameras, resetting them, altering the focus on them and also any of the settings. Also the NVR will email/text you with faults & camera failures, probably before your customer has even noticed! Remember IP cameras are computers in themselves, not the dumb devices analogue cameras were. In all honesty, we get a lot less call outs to the IP cams/NVRs than we did with the old analogue systems we used to install.

3) Cat 5/6 is far easier to install than co-ax. Also it supplies the power and control - so no extra cables! Don't be afraid of installing fibre optic cable. It's cheaper than you think and terminating it is a breeze with a fusion splicer (which you can hire for a few hundred quid/dollars/euros). Fibre can go for miles!

4) Advise your customer not be a cheap skate. He wants his site to be secure, but doesn't want to pay much for it. Well more fool him! Put cheap cameras in and reap the disappointment when some incident occurs.

Hope this helps.

Visualspirit brings up excellent points and I agree.

I was impressed at first with the HDSDI option because it allows you to run higher res cameras on coax.

But like visualspirit said, it's a temporary fix. It's like a band aid until ip prices come down a little more and they have come down a great deal already