Boxcleva

New boy needing help. AVC 732

Hi Folks ,

I have the following kit:

Netgear DG834G Router

Upgrade AVC-732 Video Web Server , allthough it looks identical to the one here > http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/product_12_732.htm

Objective: To view camera pictures locally, but more important remotely. No recording required.

Where do I start? Firstly , I cannot access the AVC menu as it cant find any connected devices.

Secondly , within the Netgear router config screens is an option where you can view attached devices. Needless to say the AVC doesnt appear in there , just my two PC's.

I have allowed access through ports 80 and 8080 (tcp/udp) and disabled all security (Zone Alarm / Windows FW).

I have no idea what the IP address of the web server is , allthough I suspect it is 192.168.1.1 as that is what appears by default in the software log on screen. Trying to ping this address gets me nowhere.

The only tiny success I have had is that when I plugged in the AVC directly to the PC and did away with the router I could view my cams , BUT , not the way it says I should be able to in the manual. To explain that , what I mean is that when i log in by typing 192.168.1.1 , i get an AVC splash screen which installs some software which allows me to view. Using the software that came on the disk in the box gets me nowhere.

The splashscreen and download is not mentioned anywhere in the product manual.

Anyone have any experience with this piece of kit ? Its driving me nuts!

Thanks

Box

Ok .. welcome,

take a look at this link first:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/DG834G/default.htm

Also see this post, for DVRs mainly but still may help a little:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3287

Since you are saying the IP in the Web Server is 192.168.1.1 you will need to change that some how in the Web Server configuration, if there is one (ive never used just their web server, ive used their DVRs before).

Change it to the same range, so for example, make it something like:

IP: 192.168.0.200 (200 can be any number higher than the number of PCs you have, if you have already 2 PCs they would probably be 192.168.0.2 and .3 for example, so the number can be anything above that, i just normally go lot higher and stick with general number i always use)

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Not sure what the Subnet mask is for the router, but make the web server the same, probably 255.255.255.0

The link i posted is really for port forwarding, which is needed for remote access.

Basically the DVR has to be within the same gateway as the router, same range and same subnet mask.

You could also change the router's gateway and IP instead, if you can't configure the web server.

Good luck

Rory

Wow Rory , quick reposnse , thanks!

You have hit the nail on the head though , I cant access the video web server to alter the address so i'm a bit stuck!

EDIT: Oops , missed your last bit. Any idea how i change my routers IP ?

Change the router's IP then.

Ill need to see a manual, hang on and let me take a quick look.

Is everything default?

Ok , I've managed to chnage the IP , and the web server now shows up in the attached devices section of my routers setup pages. But it still wont connect ..grrr

You may need to change the DHCP scheme also, in that same LAN IP set up page.

Make Starting and Ending IP Address: 192.168.1 ... instead of 192.168.0 ...

This way your PCs are in the same range, you will need to restart the router and the PCs also.

Make sure you didnt make the Router IP 192.168.1.1, make it s omething like 192.168.1.2, then make the DHCP starting IP range 192.168.1.3

Rory

Something like this, since the web server is using 192.168.1.1 (?)

I cant find a manual for that web server or would just look at that, if you have a link please post it .. thanks

net2.jpg

thanks Rory.

That is all done. And if i type 192.168.1.1 into IE i get the screenb where I download the application software. But if i try to connect using the software it errors out. Also , when i type in my dns address from dyndns.org i get my router login screen coming up ???

Okay so it is connecting locally.

Are you using that local IP in the software?

Also, for the DynDns to work you will need to add a port forward for port 80 to the web servers Ip: 192.168.1.1

If it still doesnt connect, enable the DMZ for the web servers IP and try it again, this is needed for some devices.

Another thing is make sure you are using the correct password? I think it is admin.

Rory

Rory ,

I have enabled DMZ as suggested , and I have set the lan ip for port forwarding to 'any' and 'allow always'. Still no go.

And yeah, I am using the 192.168.1.1 address when i try and connect with the server software.

If you have remote access enabled, do you want to PM me the IP or DynDns to connect and check it out .. maybe 2 forwards for port 80 in there also ..

See if you can Telnet to it also, it is still connecting via the browser?

Command Prompt: TELNET 192.168.1.1 80

There is one line that sais block always .. may be causing an issue. I dont know that particular router, though I have used the netgear before.

I cant connect so it is blocking Wan users ..

All you really want to do is look for port forwarding or Applications/ Servers, and set up the port forward there .. use TCP only btw. The forward simply bypasses the firewall rules, as far as I know.

rory

Heres the explanation for the block always bit (which you cant adjust)

Any inbound traffic which is not allowed by rules you create will be blocked by the Default rule.

BLOCK rules are only useful if the traffic is already covered by an ALLOW rule. (That is, you wish to block a sub-set of traffic which is currently allowed by another rule.)

To define the Schedule used in these selections, use the "Schedule" screen.

I know this may sound silly, but I remember hearing about a similar problem, I think it was because (and do not ask me why) you need to connect the RS232 cable that comes with the webserver, the one they conveniently didnt solder for you, to your dvr if you are using both AVTECH devices, I know this is probably not your issue however, like I said i rmemeber a similar problem.

The DMZ should bypass anything anyway ...other wise, do you have a regular router lying around? Put that first, then go out to the firewall router and that goes to the PCs .. the web server could be on the regular router ..

The only other piece of kit i have is a DLINK DSL604T Router. I will give that a go later on today and let you know how i get on.

Thanks guys

IPTables is a firewall/NAT software for Linux, various Unixes, BSDs, etc. I think there might be a windows port but I'm too lazy too go look. Most home routers are just embeded linux devices and I know Linksys is using IPTables as the actull firewall.